"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 11-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Kill the mold first with straight bleach before you even attempt to clean the pot. There are some good molds (pencillin) and some bad ones. (Katrina and N.O.) So unless you know for sure that the mold is of the pencillin family, why take chances. Molds love to turn into powder and float through the air. (Wear a mask) Is this one pan worth all this labor? Wouldn't you rather be out shopping for a new pan?

Old 11-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Is this one pan worth all this labor? Wouldn't you rather be out shopping for a new pan?
Good stainless steel pans are an investment. I'd be doing everything I could to salvage the pan. It makes no sense to throw out a perfectly good pan and purchase another when some cleaning will fix up the original into a good-as-new state. It would be a waste of money and add unnecessary waste to a landfill. No one is telling him to lick the pan clean. ~.~ Germs and mold will not survive their trip to the bleach spa.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
Head Chef

Take care when scraping. No steel wool or 3M type pads. (Some don't worry about scratches. I try to keep the surface perfect to keep it as non-sticking as possible.) A good, long soak will lift most crud. Then, ditto on Barkeeper's Friend. It's non-abrasive and perfect for stainless steel.

Hopefully the surface is okay. An important property of stainless steel is it's ability to self-heal minor surface damage. This self-healing is a reaction between chromium and oxygen, and when foods or other material blocks oxygen from the surface there can be corrosion. For the same reason, do not allow bleach to stand in the pot for a long time. A short exposure to a mild bleach solution will kill whatever is growing.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
Good stainless steel pans are an investment. I'd be doing everything I could to salvage the pan. It makes no sense to throw out a perfectly good pan and purchase another when some cleaning will fix up the original into a good-as-new state. It would be a waste of money and add unnecessary waste to a landfill. No one is telling him to lick the pan clean. ~.~ Germs and mold will not survive their trip to the bleach spa.
I second that, I would do just about anything needed to salvage one of my stainless pans. I shopped and put a lot of time in choosing my pots and pans and I hope to have them for a good long time. I bought them with the hope to have them for years and years!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Bleach? Stainless steel?

Just fill it with water and put it on the stove until the stuff comes loose.

I am no metallurgist, but it seems like bleach would do more harm than good and its not needed for this.
It would be like burning down your house because you saw a roach.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Fill the pot with water, add a fabric softener sheet (or even liquid fabric softener) and leave it overnight. Work on cleaning the pot the next morning. It make take a couple of tries before the pot is truly clean, but it really does work.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Strong solution of biological laundry washing powder in warm water soaked over night. Rinse. Wash with hot soapy water and a non-scratch scourer. That should remove the mould. If not, do it again as often as needed (probably twice at most). A touch of Bar Keepers Friend will take away any staining after washing.