Kabobs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica_Morris

Senior Cook
Been thinking about attempting to cook some kabobs bit not exactly sure how to go about doing them. Anyone have any recipes for them? I'd greatly appreciate them.

Morning Jessica...I had Pork Tenderloin K-Bobs yesterday. I prefer the metal K-Bobs sticks/holders.. but the wooden ones will work just fine..Remember to soak them awhile first...You can put anything you like on the K-Bobs, but we usually limit it to the meat, fresh pineapple chunks, bell pepper, Vidalia onions, mushrooms, and large cherry tomatoes...Yellow Squash, and Zucchini are two other options..I grill them over a moderate hot fire...turning often so as not to burn the vegetables to much..I check the pork with a thermometer looking for 145 degrees. Toward the end of cooking I baste with a mixture of pineapple juice and brown sugar...We like to serve fried rice with them.....HTH

Have Fun!

We usually marinade sirloin for k-bobs, just how we always did it when i was a kid. Now I cook veggies on a separate skewer so they can come off when done, same with the beef. My marinade usually has the same veggies as what I put on the grill anyway so taste isn't an issue, except for taters.(not a good idea in a marinade for beef:ohmy:)

K-bobs are a "clean out the fridge" meal for us. Kinda fun too.

Make sure everything is cut close to the same size. This will ensure that everything will be cooked evenly. And cut them fairly large, because some veggies will crack and split open when you push the skewer through. Mushrooms are especially terrible for that.

Yellow Squash, and Zucchini are two other options..

Ohhh... never thought of those on skewers... nice.

@OP > Think in terms of just cooking the meat like you would a steak for flavour and then add big chunky veggies you have on hand. The marinated sirloin sounds good too. I normally just look at the colours and strength of the veg and how it is going to stand up to longer cooking times required for the meat.

Also "Kebob" is one of those cooking terms that has been ravaged and roped over the years by the English, but it actually refers to lamb meat from Middle Eastern heritage. I know my Chef instructor at college was a real stickler for this stuff and many test marks were lost due to common misuse of the term. :smartass:

In reality, most cultures have adopted some form of Kebob now as their own, and the proper French term "Brochette" (which is what you are asking recipes for), is just not used as a common term.

I grill my veggies separate from the meat as they cook at different rates. You can manage it either way but I find separating them easier for me.

Just about any meat, fish or poultry can be kabob'd. You can choose to marinate first or brush with a sauce during cooking. Mix and match veggies to go with the meats.

I grill my veggies separate from the meat as they cook at different rates. You can manage it either way but I find separating them easier for me.

Just about any meat, fish or poultry can be kabob'd. You can choose to marinate first or brush with a sauce during cooking. Mix and match veggies to go with the meats.

And here I thought I was going to be the black sheep and say I don't really like typical meat/veggie kabobs, for just that reason. They sure look nice, but I prefer all meat kabobs.

And here I thought I was going to be the black sheep and say I don't really like typical meat/veggie kabobs, for just that reason. They sure look nice, but I prefer all meat kabobs.

That's what all the outdoor cooks in our Armenian community around Boston did when I was a young cook-in-training.

Dad would cook Lamb cubes on a metal skewer with one or two single layers of onion in between. He separately grilled tomatoes, green peppers and onions. The veggies were done first and handed off to the women to peel them and cut them up while Dad cooked the meat.

If I make "all meat" kabobs, I just have to add in a big piece of onion in between each piece for flavor. If the onion burns, you can throw it away, but usually if the pieces are big enough, the onion is very tasty too when the meat is done!

Towards the end of the cooking time, I add in those all veggie kabobs to end up on the table at the same time!

Been thinking about attempting to cook some kabobs bit not exactly sure how to go about doing them. Anyone have any recipes for them? I'd greatly appreciate them.

Check out my appetizer for the GCC Four Seasons competition. I have a recipe there that I think you will like. But you will have to come up with your own veggies, or fruit to go with the pork for your kabobs.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I guess the first I would have a question. Do you have meat preference? Different meat would requaire a different cut to use, different marinade, seasoning is probably more of your own choice.
Pork or white chicken meat really doesn't need marinade, seasoning is enough in my opinion. Beeef ot goat, or lamb is another story. Especiallt beef. Also how fresh the meat makes a huge difference.

I find that microwaving the vegetables a little before skewering them really helps them be cooked so they're not raw and still crunchy when the meat is done.

I also cook veggies and meats on their own skewers.

I like lamb marinated in red wine/rosemary/lemon/ garlic
Chicken thighs in plain yogurt/turmeric/paprika/garam masala
Ham and pineapple is ok on the same skewer
pork can marinated like lamb and trastes similar/substituted when left alone long enough.
I like teriyaki for white chicken meat

I skewer veggies and meat separately as well. And, I really like the metal skewers. Good idea to blanch the veggies first. I'll remember that if I want to serve these to "non-family" folks <g>. Everyone usually gets a skewer of meat/shrimp, a skewer of veggies (or two) per serving. I BBQ'd shrimp using the lime olive oil as part of the marinade awhile back. I posted what I put together and the dipping sauces I made...probably under the flavored olive oil thread...I think PrincessFiona started that thread.

I love to do kabobs but sometimes when I don't feel like skewering them I would just use grilling baskets. I would throw vegis in one basket and meat in another. It's fast and easy.

As far as skewers I like metal skewers too. Mine are 3/8" wide flat skewers. Good thing about them is that meat and vegies will not rotate if you skewer them loosely.

I've also seen people use wire skewers with great success and ease.

Last edited:
We grill pre cooked sausages get grill marks on them then slice into bite sized pieces put on metal skewer now we add a mushroom, then a good sized piece of onion. then start over this just one of the kabobs we make
kades:)

The pork Kabobs sounds really good actually, I don't remember having them myself. I'm going to a BBQ place tonight, I'll try them there. Hope there good. Thanks for the recipe by the way.

one more vote for separate skewers for meat and veggies for the most part. onion and pineapple go well on the same skewer as meat, however, as they cook quickly.

don't forget about shrimp and fish for kebabs. i like to do the shrimp on two skewers so they don't spin when being turned. also, just split the shell and devein but leave the shell on when grilling. this keeps the shrimp moist and the charred shell adds flavor.
i also cut and skewer chunks of fish or a folded bit of fish just smaller than chunks of adjacent onion or othera veggies so that the fish comes in minimal contact with the grill bars. this helps to prevent the fish from sticking.

boneless chicken thighs are great on a skewer when marinated in turmeric, garlic, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, pepper, cumin, ginger, salt, onions, and paprika.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom