"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 12-30-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Looking for Charcoal

Now that Wally-world is not selling charcoal - for the winter, I'm wondering where I can find a reasonable source. I live in Connecticut, however, is there a suggested place I should be looking? Feed store, hareware store. online?

Any help will be appreciated

Old 12-30-2006, 04:28 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Supermarket aisle?

Old 12-30-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
I havn't been there recently but you could try Home Depot as well as my grocery stores still have it available.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
Master Chef

Yup - I'd definitely check out supermarkets in your area. Around here the supermarkets carry it year-round.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:48 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I know this sounds wierd but our walmart had a separate section to go get 'summery' stuff. They have everything from plant seeds ---> charcoal.

Not even alot of the employees know where it is. You go through a door marked exit and there is a wonderland of summer things that they couldn't get rid of. I just happened to ask the right person.

When I took Mr HB through the magic door, he was gobstopped.

Find someone and ask for something more obscure like 'citrus fertilizer'....maybe you'll get lucky too.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Nightjar...

You might check your local Wally world's garden center for Charcoal this time of year.....I don't know if it is part of their marketing strategy or just plain stupidity! Where you are (Connecticut) it kinda makes sense (due to weather) but here in the deep south we grill/bbq year round! When Wally first got into the grocery business their merchandising was hilarious.. Their expertise was mass marketing "stuff".. not groceries....they have gotten better but still do some quirky things.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:20 AM   #7
Head Chef

Charcoal: One grocery store puts the canning supplies and outdoor picnic and grilling supplies on the paper goods isle. You will probably find charcoal next to the matches.

Our Walmart closes down the summer seasonal area and makes it into the Christmas area. They move the charcoal to the sporting goods department.

The Dollar Store moves it to the automotive isle.

One grocery store was selling turkey deep fryers and also had a display of Kingsford next to it. And posted a sign for Rain Checks for the fryer oil!

At a cooking shop at the mall, I noticed a small grill with a starter bag of charcoal inside. This might be a good place to get the grill.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:22 AM   #8
Cook

Our 7-11 here carries it all year round.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:50 AM   #9
Head Chef

Yeah, we can get charcoal at those stores too. Now wait a minute, those are cigarette butts, sorry.

(we have no brand name convenience stores here.)
Old 12-31-2006, 07:17 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Thank you for your timely and helpful responses. Unfortunately, Wal-Mart (Wally World) did indeed remove all charcoal for their garden section. I expect that they will probably get it back. Crazy folks like me will grill in the snow, no problem there!

the Home Depot suggestion is a great one. I don't know why I let that idea slip. I bought my char coal chimney starter there for goodness sake! :-)

Thanks again,