My first deep fried chicken experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cooking stuffing outside the turkey ....

Using unsalted giblet broth instead of water makes it taste more like it was inside the bird.

GB said:
OK I posted pictures here.
Your turkey looks wonderful! And Rachael is certainly a cutie. :)

If you plan to keep the used cooking oil for a while, you can extend the shelf life by keeping it in a freezer. My turkey cooking buddy does that with great results. Just be sure to schedule thawing time because it will only be liquid at room temperature. ;)

Tom

I have the fryer and use it all the time. I want to try frying chicken, but I want to fry individual wings and drumsticks and whatnot. If anyone knows the proper cooking times and oil temperature for this type of "procedure" that would be a big help.

The meat of the chicken tasted like plain chicken. The rub did not penetrate at all. The rub was an afterthought though and only went on about 30 minutes before it took its oil bath. You could really taste it on the skin though. Fantastic flavor! With the turkey the rub will be going on at least 24 hours before cooking (and maybe closer to 30 hours) It will be applied to the skin, but also under the skin wherever we can.

I had a deep fried turkey a year ago and the skin to me was over cooked and had more of a burned taste but the meat was good and not over cooked. I found out they had brined the turkey in a solution that included sugar. Which I think was what burned in the process. Did the rub you put on the chicken have sugar in it??:chef:

Yeah the rub I used with the chicken has some brown sugar. I have since decided that when deep frying birds I like them better without a rub.

There's no reason why you can't make stuffing and cook it in a pan in the oven. That's what I do. I cook my turkey empty so it will cook faster and not dry out.

If you want it moist, cover the pan. If you want it crispy, leave the cover off.

Yes, make the stuffing separate. Oil your hands and make stuffing balls (the size of muffins) on a sheet pan. Bake and let the outside get crispy. It makes for a nice presentation and portion size. ~Bliss

Back
Top Bottom