"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 04-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
Master Chef

New Weber Rotisserie

I just got a new rotisserie for my Weber kettle and decided to try it on something fairly easy. A 4lb tri-tip. I applied S&P and garlic rub on it and grilled it over direct heat until the internal temp reached 140F. I added a couple of chunks of red oak at the beginning of the cook with the dome closed for smoke. Tri-tip is one of those kinds of cuts where you treat it like a huge chunk of steak, not a roast.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050710.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	10628  

Old 04-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Looks great! Tri-tip must be a cut that has a cultural background? It is almost impossible to find it here. I've always wanted to try one either on the grill or smoker.

Craig

Old 04-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I just got a new rotisserie for my Weber kettle and decided to try it on something fairly easy...
Congratulations!!

I've never used one but often thought about getting one. Let us know how it works out for you.

My dad had one while I was growing up and used it maybe twice in ten years. I suppose he thought it was more trouble than it was worth, but the rotisserie chicken that I've had since, usually from the deli at the market, especially when it's properly seasoned with lots of salt and pepper, is sweet, tender, juicy and just plain fantastic! MUCH better than fried!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Congratulations!!

I've never used one but often thought about getting one. Let us know how it works out for you.

My dad had one while I was growing up and used it maybe twice in ten years. I suppose he thought it was more trouble than it was worth, but the rotisserie chicken that I've had since, usually from the deli at the market, especially when it's properly seasoned with lots of salt and pepper, is sweet, tender, juicy and just plain fantastic! MUCH better than fried!
My dad was an engineer. He built a rotisserie for our plain, round, charcoal grill in the '60s. We had rotisserie chicken almost every weekend in the summers. Yum.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Roadfix, that looks mouth wateringly good.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Looks great! Tri-tip is simply not available here in the East.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Master Chef

Thanks. Tri-tips are very popular out here in the west, particularly in Ca where this particular cut has some history behind it. Traditionally, they're grilled over red oak on a Santa Maria style grill and cooked to medium at most. I bought this particular cut on sale for $1.99/lb.

I've never owned a rotisserie until this one. I plan on modifying the Weber kettle and the rotisserie unit slightly by making it more air tight for low and slow smoking. The rotis assembly is not air tight and feeds too much oxygen to the coals to keep the temps down for long smokes.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I saw a tri-tip at the same store I saw and bought a flank steak in. It looked to be too big for just me and I wasn't sure how to cut it in half, lol.

Ahhh, the sound of electric rotisserie motors, struggling to get the heavy end up and over... childhood memories. I think with beer can chicken being so popular now, rotisseries are almost getting phased out. It is no longer "the way" to do chicken. Good thing for big hunks of beef.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I saw a tri-tip at the same store I saw and bought a flank steak in. It looked to be too big for just me and I wasn't sure how to cut it in half, lol....

I remember seeing a guide on how to slice a tri-tip for serving. It may have had something about dividing it as well. I don't remember.

I think I googled how to cook a tri-tip or similar.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Looks good.

How much weight is the rotisserie rated for?