Outdoor rustic cooking in India

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I think is great is how everyone is always trying to get the best, latest most popular gadget or appliance. This guy, throws a few cinder blocks together, a large pot, not a utensil in sight, and cooks the mother load of food under extremely primitive circumstances.

Very cool. Check out his excellent wet-hand dry-hand technique ;)

Larry, he does have a spider for taking the chicken out of the oil. It's very impressive, though.

Look at the size of those drumsticks...

Yeah they're huge. Organic free range chicken.

I like how the young man (the one filming I guess) says "KFC!" when he sees the first batch out of the fryer. They probably do have KFC's in the larger cities in India, but it's probably a super rare treat to eat at a place like that.

If I tried to squat for even two minutes, I'd be a hurting unit. Heck, who am I fooling, I'd probably tip over.

Great video!

Two things I found interesting.

The lack of seasonings other than salt and the use of all of those shiny new aluminum pans to deliver the chicken. I expected a heavy use of spices in the coating mix and a simple wax paper bag to hold the individual servings of chicken.

Last edited:
Yeah they're huge. Organic free range chicken.

I like how the young man (the one filming I guess) says "KFC!" when he sees the first batch out of the fryer. They probably do have KFC's in the larger cities in India, but it's probably a super rare treat to eat at a place like that.

They do have KFC in India. When I was working in Pakistan they also had KFC. Lot more expensive than the local places. But they people who could afford it would go due to knowing the food was cooked in hygienic conditions.

They do have KFC in India. When I was working in Pakistan they also had KFC. Lot more expensive than the local places. But they people who could afford it would go due to knowing the food was cooked in hygienic conditions.

That's interesting... Something we normally assume... :)

Ross

Must be all that delicious bacteria...

A lot of the super popular street food vendors are probably not serving bacteria ridden food because if their patrons got sick, they'd stop buying food there. A lot of the street food vendors have tons of regulars lined up to buy. That's why you kinda want to ask where the locals eat.

Plus the way a lot of it is cooked (in hot oil) and then handed to you, the bacteria would not survive the cooking process. The popular ones that are popular with the locals and get great reviews probably have it down to a science. They probably know how much meat to order, keep in on ice, etc..

At least I hope! :) There's a cool channel on YouTube called the Food Ranger where he eats a lot of street food and also food at small restaurants in Asia. He's from Canada and is married to a Chinese woman.

But yep food safety is important. I saw a news story that some refrigerator food trucks in the USA aren't safe. All those trucks (including the big rigs) that are supposed to be kept at a certain temp.. Sometimes the fridge units stop working, and they just deliver the food that may have sat in a hot truck for days. Or the drivers will shut the fridge units off to save fuel. So if you ever get sick making food that you yourself made at home, that might be why. And there aren't enough police and inspection stations to catch them. Some get caught and cited.

Last edited:
A lot of the super popular street food vendors are probably not serving bacteria ridden food because if their patrons got sick, they'd stop buying food there. A lot of the street food vendors have tons of regulars lined up to buy. That's why you kinda want to ask where the locals eat.

Plus the way a lot of it is cooked (in hot oil) and then handed to you, the bacteria would not survive the cooking process. The popular ones that are popular with the locals and get great reviews probably have it down to a science. They probably know how much meat to order, keep in on ice, etc..

At least I hope! :) There's a cool channel on YouTube called the Food Ranger where he eats a lot of street food and also food at small restaurants in Asia. He's from Canada and is married to a Chinese woman.

But yep food safety is important. I saw a news story that some refrigerator food trucks in the USA aren't safe. All those trucks (including the big rigs) that are supposed to be kept at a certain temp.. Sometimes the fridge units stop working, and they just deliver the food that may have sat in a hot truck for days. Or the drivers will shut the fridge units off to save fuel. So if you ever get sick making food that you yourself made at home, that might be why. And there aren't enough police and inspection stations to catch them. Some get caught and cited.
I was partly joking, but have you ever been to Mexico? Are you familiar with Montezuma's revenge? Getting tacos on the street in Mexico is not recommended because the water they rinse the vegetable toppings in is not clean. Also, locals often have immunities to pathogens that visitors don't have.

Last edited:
I was partly joking, but have you ever been to Mexico? Are you familiar with Montezuma's revenge? Getting tacos on the street in Mexico is not recommended because the water they rinse the vegetable toppings in is not clean. Also, locals often have immunities to pathogens that visitors don't have.

Yeah I've heard of that. I've never been to Mexico. I have been to Canada many times, though. Thankfully I've never had any Montezuma's Revenge in clean Canada. lol.

Next time I go there, I need to try some poutine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom