"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2017, 12:46 AM   #51
Assistant Cook

I love purslane, I hate to see it being weeded from gardens.

- Wild garlic - you will find them when you are engulfed by the smell of onion, very prolific, you can pick them in the spring, pick the ramps and then pick the heads mid-summer when they go to seed (like tiny onion/garlic pebbles), then pick them in the fall and it's like a small bulb of garlic
- Fiddleheads - spring
- Berries - serviceberries, blueberries, raspberries, gooseberries - different types grow all the way through to mid-summer
- Mushrooms - this one is trickier but there are a few easy types with no poisonous lookalikes (like anything, you don't eat it unless 150% certain it's been properly identified)
- Apples - Unbelievably many areas have apples all over the place... look to places where there once was a farm, or where people lived in the past - these are feral apples that were planted and forgotten long ago
- Other greens - so many greens, dandelion, nettle
- Nuts - sweet acorns, hickory, walnuts (stay away from black walnuts, not worth it)
- Flowers - so many things make great teas, you can also forage for your beverages
- Cattails
- Ground cherries (they look like tiny tomatillos but they are orange when ripe)
- Asparagus - looks like regular asparagus but thinner
- Ramps - rare and hard to find, but if you do be responsible and only pick a small percentage, they are being overpicked and this is why they are becoming harder to find

Those are some easy ones. It's honestly so rewarding and fun, not to mention money-saving, to forage for at least some of your foods.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #52
Cook

I love foraging around here, berries, apples, muscadines, mushrooms, pears, cherries, purslane, poke weed (not recommended unless you are 1000% sure you know how to make Poke Sallit - it is very toxic raw.)

I can also find kudzu taters, wild rose hips, wild persimmons (very sour but good for jam or syrup.) Pecans, fiddle heads, cat tails, a few ramps, acorns, hickory nuts galore - all over my yard in the fall. Of course dandelion and nettle.

Add those to my hunting and fishing and, even if I didn't have a garden or grocery store, I'd eat well.

There is a whole bounty of foods out there that so few care to go get today.