What's on the Grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great! I've never been to Alaska!
uhh, you are taking me along aren't you? :LOL:

Thanks guys.
This is only my second time making it, but I'll do it on the grill from now on. It picked up a nice subtle wood flavor from the mesquite I used. And you can't beat having the correct pan, Ten bucks from wally world.

I like the idea of using the grill. Not only for the mesquite flavor but also, it's a heat source that's big enough to heat the whole pan.

Thanks guys.
This is only my second time making it, but I'll do it on the grill from now on. It picked up a nice subtle wood flavor from the mesquite I used. And you can't beat having the correct pan, Ten bucks from wally world.

I, for one, would appreciate if you did a full blown write up of it. If you have and I missed it then point me at it!

Here is the recipe I used Grilled Paella Mixta (Paella with Seafood and Meat) Recipe - CHOW

I used 1-3/4c rice and adjusted the chicken stock accordingly. And I pretty much halved the chicken, mussels and shrimp. The pan was 13". Another recipe I saw used lobster tails, so I went for it and added one.
And no Spanish chorizo here, so I used a cured, dried, spicy sausage labeled Calabrese. It leached enough grease to saute the onion and garlic without added olive oil.
I sure wish I had remembered the fresh parsley and lemons I had also bought :bangin:

Here is the recipe I used Grilled Paella Mixta (Paella with Seafood and Meat) Recipe - CHOW

I used 1-3/4c rice and adjusted the chicken stock accordingly. And I pretty much halved the chicken, mussels and shrimp. The pan was 13". Another recipe I saw used lobster tails, so I went for it and added one.
And no Spanish chorizo here, so I used a cured, dried, spicy sausage labeled Calabrese. It leached enough grease to saute the onion and garlic without added olive oil.
I sure wish I had remembered the fresh parsley and lemons I had also bought :bangin:

This may need to go on the menu very soon.

Made some steaks last night. Rear to medium rear. Told my wife to close her eyes and taste, she loved it. She usually has me kill the meat, I mean make it well done, brrr...

I was scratching my head about the flavor bars. Ahhh, I had an older gasser that used lava rocks instead. It says these prervent flare ups and direct the heat? I also read these should be cleaned every couple months. I wish dishes and laundry were so forgiving. :ermm:

Nice looking set of pics and more better, tasty meals too.

Having used lava rocks (years ago) and flavorizer bars, I must say the bars are much more user friendly, provide a more even heat and little flare up. I cannot taste any difference as both work on the same principle.

Now they need to design a flavorizer bar that never needs to be replaced.
I have a Weber Genesis Silver model and have replaced the flavorizer bars three times in 15 years. I have not had to replace anything else on that grill. Not even the ignition starter.
I may order a few parts that might become obsolete if they are not already obsolete. I am really surprised at how ell this grill has help up.
Its by far the very best grill I have ever owned. It was a gift from my father. Birthday gift.

Made some steaks last night. Rear to medium rear. Told my wife to close her eyes and taste, she loved it. She usually has me kill the meat, I mean make it well done, brrr...

What part would come from rear to medium rear on a steer?" :)

Grilling weather is here all week! Can't wait to make the tri-tip steak over the wood fire. Discovered the magic of wood last year and, wow, what a difference! Delicious!!!

Grilling weather is here all week! Can't wait to make the tri-tip steak over the wood fire. Discovered the magic of wood last year and, wow, what a difference! Delicious!!!

The only time I use gas is crawfish boils, steaming crabs, deep frying turkey/carnitas and to heat a CI skillet to "white hot" for blackening.

The only time I use gas is crawfish boils, steaming crabs, deep frying turkey/carnitas and to heat a CI skillet to "white hot" for blackening.

I was the same way until 25 years or more ago.
I detested gas grills and would not ever consider owning one. Then one B-Day my parents bought me an El Cheapo Sunbeam. I was disappointed as I was certain I would never use it and that they had wasted their money.

After almost destroying it because i had no idea how to use it, I calmed down and continued to use it until it became my go to grill.
I went through at least 4 burners and Sunbeam kept sending me new ones at no charge. I used that grill a lot.

Then one year they bought me the Weber gas grill. It was like taking out my GE electric range and replacing it with a Wolf gas range.
Like night and day.

For every day use, I find the gas grill to be the most efficient and it is fast.
No mess, no clean up, no ashes to discard.
All three of my charcoal/wood grills and smoker get used. And lately because its a new spring, all I have used is charcoal.
But before long when that hot summer heat hits and I have two steaks to grill (3 now) it will be on my Weber gas grill.
Lights on one push and is hot in 10 minutes or less.

I use both, but I will never think of gas grills as I did many years ago.

I would have had a much harder time controlling the heat using charcoal for my paella. Especially using a 13" pan. I would have needed a monster charcoal grill to be able to move the pan around from direct to indirect as needed and use it for browning the chicken, sauteing the veggies, simmering the rice and then cranking the heat back up to help the socarrat along. But I'm sure it can be done.
I'll look forward to your pics of you cooking paella on the charcoal/wood grill, Craig.

I would have had a much harder time controlling the heat using charcoal for my paella. Especially using a 13" pan. I would have needed a monster charcoal grill to be able to move the pan around from direct to indirect as needed and use it for browning the chicken, sauteing the veggies, simmering the rice and then cranking the heat back up to help the socarrat along. But I'm sure it can be done.
I'll look forward to your pics of you cooking paella on the charcoal/wood grill, Craig.

If I cooked paella out doors, it would be something else the gas cooker would be used for. Since I don't, you won't be seeing any pics.;)

These were on the grill tonight.

Attachments

• Cajun wings grilled.jpg
    Cajun wings grilled.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 186
Back
Top Bottom