What's on the Grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A smoked ribeye steak is fantastic! You can still cook it to med-rare or med, but you get that bit of smoke flavor. I've done them low and slow, 225-250, and it works great. Boneless ribeye roast is really good smoked low and slow. Since it is so thick, the rub doesn't penetrate very deep. A good dose of k.salt, blk pepper, garlic pwdr, thyme, rosemary, and a little heat of some kind like Tony C's or just cayenne works great. Or fav is just rub w/some worchest(or dales steak marinade), k.salt, blk pepper, tony c's, then another layer of blk pepper. The best time to eat is after it rests', as your cutting, or the next day(better smoke flavor, imo). But, that is just our opinion.

I smoke/grill all yr cause my smokers and grill is in my shop, out of the wind, snow, rain, and the shop is heated.:mrgreen: Yep, I'm a Nancy.

I brushed the rust off the hibachi last night and did some yakitori for appetizer and ahi. I've been grilling year round but not too often with the little hibachi. It's a fun little griller.

Attachments

• P1050680.jpg
    P1050680.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 431
  • P1050683.jpg
    P1050683.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 493
I brushed the rust off the hibachi last night and did some yakitori for appetizer and ahi. I've been grilling year round but not too often with the little hibachi. It's a fun little griller.

That's a nice looking hibachi. Is that the pizza oven you built, in the background?

That's a nice looking hibachi. Is that the pizza oven you built, in the background?
Thank you, it's a Lodge cast iron hibachi. Yes, that's the pizza oven
Here's a photo of the pizza oven I build last year. It looks clean with fresh stucco in the photo but have since picked up a lot of character grundge and stains which I like. :D

img_988308_0_873668b1bd6b937e7261808d7e7f0920.jpg

I haven't tried them yet. The bag says natural. No fillers or binders.

I've been thinking about that. If there are no binders, how do the briquettes hang together? I had assumed they were using sap (or maybe resin) as a binder. I have some marvellous all natural fire starters that are made of sawdust and sap (or maybe resin). They are ~2 inch squares that light easily with a match.

I've been thinking about that. If there are no binders, how do the briquettes hang together? I had assumed they were using sap (or maybe resin) as a binder. I have some marvellous all natural fire starters that are made of sawdust and sap (or maybe resin). They are ~2 inch squares that light easily with a match.

Check it out: Kingsford.com

Speaking of natural briquettes I just picked up ten 15lb bags of Stubbs briquettes on sale at Lowe's for $4.25 ea. (50% off)
Home Depot has Kingsford blue twin-20lb briquettes (40lbs total)(not natural) currently on sale for $10.97. They run this sale 3 or 4 times yearly.

Last edited:
Speaking of natural briquettes I just picked up ten 15lb bags of Stubbs briquettes on sale at Lowe's for $4.25 ea. (50% off)
Home Depot has Kingsford blue twin-20lb briquettes (40lbs total)(not natural) currently on sale for $10.97. They run this sale 3 or 4 times yearly.

That would give me more reason to drive in to HD. I need halogen bulbs anyway and they are half the price of the local Ace. I hope mine is running that sale.

I showed my husband your cool little habachi and now he wants one! What did I get myself into??

Like all cast iron from Lodge, this little grill is well crafted and perfect for small meals. It's best for grilling anything hot and fast.

I'll bet...it got great reviews on Amazon. My problem is we already have a large gas grill, a smoker, and one of these tabletop yakitori grills. The hubby is trying to convince me that we NEED the habachi grill. We'll see who wins this battle. Knowing me, I'll probably give in. I have a soft spot for kitchen tools and appliances (not my husband). Hehe

Attachments

• Steel-Yakitori-Grill.1224489529.jpg
    Steel-Yakitori-Grill.1224489529.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 332
I'll bet...it got great reviews on Amazon. My problem is we already have a large gas grill, a smoker, and one of these tabletop yakitori grills. The hubby is trying to convince me that we NEED the habachi grill. We'll see who wins this battle. Knowing me, I'll probably give in. I have a soft spot for kitchen tools and appliances (not my husband). Hehe

But it is small and will fit. You need one more.. just one. :)

That's too funny. It's a fun little tabletop grill, purchased specifically for yakitori so it doesn't get a lot of use. I wish I had discovered the cast iron hibachi before buying this one. The hibachi seems a lot more versatile. That cast iron grate looks awesome! I'm jealous of those beautiful grill marks on your ahi. :)

Saturday nite moink balls on the smoker and some wings and thighs on the Weber rotisserie. My wife made sides of rice and vegis. A friend also brought over a couple of bottles of wine from a local winery.

Attachments

• P1050848.jpg
    P1050848.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 316
  • P1050851.jpg
    P1050851.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 373
Back
Top Bottom