What's on the Grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdthompson

Cook
Looks like everyone is taking a break from grilling this winter but I'm sure things will pick up since spring is here.

What's on the grill this year? I've got plans for smoked rib eye. I tried it at a bbq joint in town and thought I'd give it a try this year. Anyone have suggestions on a rub and smoking time/temp?

Winter didn't stop me from grilling. I Q'd in the rain, and liked it :)

If it were me I wouldn't add any spices to the Rib Eye except Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. That also depends on the cut.

How are you planning on smoking your Rib Eye? Will it be cut into steaks or kept as a whole roast?

What you decide to do will determine the cooking times.

I've been grilling (gas grill) all winter but haven't done a slow cooking yet. It's still too cold.

I bought four big bags of Kingsford Competition All Natural Briquettes on sale and now I have to get the Weber ready to go.

Munky, Glad there are others that are silly like me, grilling in the rain. We are both lucky to be in California (although it did rain quite a bit this year).

I want to do a whole bone in roast, probably around 4-5 bones.

I've been grilling and BBQing all year, like I always do. I don't think this forum has a large number of folks who take notice. Not like dedicated Q forums.

I am following a diet now. So I eat my chicken, meat or fish always grilled. I feel healthier and in fact the meat tastes much better.

Jd,

I enjoy adding fuel to my neighbors opinion of me. Yes I am crazy for grilling in the rain. Definitely eat better then they do to! :)

Are you going to be using a Weber kettle, Gas, or smoker?
Different grills, different techniques will have to be done.Depending on what you have.

Everyone has his, or her own personal preferences when it comes to smoking or grilling. Personally I wouldn't add any more spices then necessary to the Rib Eye. Sometimes too much takes away the flavor of the meat.
I'm just sayin'..

I've been grilling (gas grill) all winter but haven't done a slow cooking yet. It's still too cold.

I bought four big bags of Kingsford Competition All Natural Briquettes on sale and now I have to get the Weber ready to go.

All natural briquettes? Wow! Never heard of that before. I'll look for them. Have you tried them?

I have a double hibachi and it can be hard to find chunk charcoal that fits easily. Lots of the chunks are too big.

All natural briquettes? Wow! Never heard of that before. I'll look for them. Have you tried them?

I have a double hibachi and it can be hard to find chunk charcoal that fits easily. Lots of the chunks are too big.

I haven't tried them yet. The bag says natural. No fillers or binders.

I do quite a bit of grilling. I also do some true Qing on the pit. I use hardwood charcoal and wood for grilling. Would never consider gas. Gas, IMO is only good for blackening (got to get that CI pan white hot), steaming crabs, boiling crawfish and occasionally deep frying a turkey.;)

Since I don't have a real wood burning oven, I've been able to rig the grill to allow 600F on the pizza stone. Wood for fuel of course!

Craig

Glad this thread stirred up some interest in this section. I knew there were closet grillers out there!

Jd,

I enjoy adding fuel to my neighbors opinion of me. Yes I am crazy for grilling in the rain. Definitely eat better then they do to! :)

Are you going to be using a Weber kettle, Gas, or smoker?
Different grills, different techniques will have to be done.Depending on what you have.

Everyone has his, or her own personal preferences when it comes to smoking or grilling. Personally I wouldn't add any more spices then necessary to the Rib Eye. Sometimes too much takes away the flavor of the meat.
I'm just sayin'..

Munky, I'm using an electric smoker with wood chips in a water pan. I however do like a lot of spices on a roast. You can still taste the meat inside, the outside crust is just a treat.

Glad this thread stirred up some interest in this section. I knew there were closet grillers out there!

Munky, I'm using an electric smoker with wood chips in a water pan. I however do like a lot of spices on a roast. You can still taste the meat inside, the outside crust is just a treat.

I'm confused, are you smoking a roast or rib-eye steak? I put a good bit of spice on my brisket, but its going on for 12-16 hours and will be mopped every hour. However, I would never consider smoking a rib-eye steak that should be cooked to medium rare at the most. Anyone tells me they want a steak well done is getting chuck!:mad: I would consider sirloin, but only if it is on sale for the price of chuck.;)

Craig

I'm confused, are you smoking a roast or rib-eye steak? I put a good bit of spice on my brisket, but its going on for 12-16 hours and will be mopped every hour. However, I would never consider smoking a rib-eye steak that should be cooked to medium rare at the most. Anyone tells me they want a steak well done is getting chuck!:mad: I would consider sirloin, but only if it is on sale for the price of chuck.;)

Craig

Jd, wants to cook/ smoke ( I assumed ) a Whole Standing Rib Roast. 4-5 bones. Here we call it Rib Eye. It's left whole or cut it into Rib Eye steaks.

Jd, Wish I could help you with your smoker- Fancy Pants. ;)

But I don't have the same smoker as yours. One of them is electric, has the pan on the heating element. It just uses the wood shavings. Larger chunks don't work well for it. Don't care for it much. My other is a Brinkman. It does have the charcoal and water pan. It's almost the same method as yours. I don't need any more toys. So don't get me started ;)

You could always look up your brand and see what they recommend the temp be for cooking and smoking it.

Season up your roast. Insert the thermometer. Add it to the smoker when it's reached the correct temperature. Maintain that until your roast is cooked to medium. It will still have that beautiful crust everyone loves. I've done it that way a few times with the Brinkman. It turned out just fine..

Inside or out it is usually chicken with the following sauce/marinade. I cut the salt and always use Bells poultry seasoning. Make it according to the recipe the first time and then adapt it to suit yourself.

This is the famous barbecue sauce created at Cornell University's Farm Home Extension in the 1950's.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: Makes about 3 1/3 cups
Ingredients:
2 cups vinegar
1 cup oil
1 egg
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
black pepper to taste
Preparation:
Put Ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Marinate chicken in sauce for at least 1-2 hours (overnight is good), baste while cooking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Munky's got it. Hopefully going to try it soon.

Enjoy the warmer weather and get your grills out!

I grill year round, I grill a lot more in the summer, but I still like to grill in the winter, tastes so good.

I use gas, I have a chargriller gas grill. I like the ease of turning it on and grilling a couple of chicken breasts, I wouldn't bother preparing charcoal for a couple of chicken breasts.

I also have a wooden deck high off the ground, I just didn't feel comfortable leaving charcoal smoldering for hours out on the deck, it's nice to just shut off the flame. I've done some great smoking on that grill!

For those who don't bbq all year long, it's getting near time for "Gentlemen, start your enzimes". I always liked that phrase from a charcoal or bbq grill maker.

Last edited two seconds ago to include bbq makers, and noted by this forum engines settings. I must remember to complete my edited posts within 2 seconds.

Last edited:
I ran out of propane for the big grill, so I thought I would experiment with this little guy. A friend gave it to me, and it works pretty good. If I have to take it camping I should be good to go. I've grilled salmon and chicken on it so far this year. And yeah, I was out grilling in a snow flurry this winter. Very fun!

Weber 1520 Gas Go - Anywhere Table Top Grill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom