"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum

Old 10-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #11
Executive Chef

i prefer to cook outdoors because i enjoy doing it and i love the flavor of the food cooked over charcoal or wood. i also enjoy the outdoor scenery, the flowers, the trees blowing from the breeze and the smell of the food cooking on an open fire. i also make less of a mess outside then i do in the house. i use a lot less dishes and i don't get the inside of the house all heated up from the stove or oven going.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfOdin View Post
Personally, I've never truly been one for the outdoor cooking thing. Here are my reasons, if you disagree, please disprove me, prove me wrong.

1) The mess. Yes, I know, I know, I know, all good things are worth the effort. But when the same flavors can essentially be achieved in doors given the proper equipment, such a grittle, why take the meat outside?

2) The char, unless you essentially hover over the meat, or really really know what your doing, how do avoid the unhealthy char?

3) Unless your using a charcoal grill, can't you essentially get the same results in doors? yes, this is related to 2.

4) The heat, grills give off heat, there's no two ways about but, as do stoves, but far more heat from grill. No?

Your reasons for loving outdoor cooking, post here!

1 while there are some things you can reproduce .. baby back ribs cooked low and slow with apple wood is not one ..
2 i know what i am doing ..
3 look at number 1
4 is this a bad thing ? i am outside ..

but more than anything .. i love to do it ... i enjoy going out to the garage .. putting on some music or a football game .. fire up the chargriller ..
rake leaves .. play with the kids .. drink a adult beverege or two ..
and work that bbq .. could i do it all inside .. maybe ... but what fun would that be ..

Old 10-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Not a big outdoor cooker, as I'm alone and it's stupid to turn grill on for 1 hotdog. But no way do I agree with "basically the same taste as inside". EVERYTHING tastes better cooked outside. (except maybe Birthday Cake! LOL!) Did you ever make brewed coffee on the grill? Died and gone to heaven yum! Or breakfast eggsand bacon? OMG! To Die For! And ribs???????????? I better stop there.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:38 PM   #14
Head Chef

I grilled some Italian sausages outside tonight for our dinner, and when I was cleaning up the kitchen, I glanced over at the stove and was SO grateful that I didn't have greasy pan and all that spatter to clean up...plus, they tasted SO much better.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:21 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Personally, I've never truly been one for the outdoor cooking thing. Here are my reasons, if you disagree, please disprove me, prove me wrong.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion ... but man+fire+meat ... you're talking basic primal instinct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfOdin
1) The mess. Yes, I know, I know, I know, all good things are worth the effort. But when the same flavors can essentially be achieved in doors given the proper equipment, such a grittle, why take the meat outside?
Much less mess cooking outdoors. And, no, the same flavors can not be achieved indoors in most instances. You can "smoke" some things with a stove top smoker for small items. Doesn't work for larger items or items that need long cooking times.

Quote:
2) The char, unless you essentially hover over the meat, or really really know what your doing, how do avoid the unhealthy char?
Ah, yes, the carcinogenic potential of grilled meat. There are also indications that searing meat in a pan, on an indoor grill pan, etc. may also be carcinogenic. It depends on the study you want to quote. And, if you read some of those studies - they are talking about really incinerating the fat. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to not burn your food on an outdoor grill. Well, not when you have the help of your friends at DC!

Quote:
3) Unless your using a charcoal grill, can't you essentially get the same results in doors? yes, this is related to 2.
Nope.

Quote:
4) The heat, grills give off heat, there's no two ways about but, as do stoves, but far more heat from grill. No?
Let's see - an outdoor grill producing a temp of 450F is how many degrees hotter than an indoor stove producing 450F??? And, how much space is there to dissipate the heat outdoors vs an enclosed indoor space?

I don't know where you live, or where you are from, but down here in the South we used to have "summer" kitchens (before air conditioning) - which were outdoors for the simple reason that they didn't heat up the house. I also remember when I was a kid and we had a screened in "sleeping pourch" - maybe Uncle Bob or Mississippi Girl remembers these.

Quote:
There are some things you simply can't do indoors with the same results as outdoors. And, cooking outdoors doesn't heat up the house - nor do you wind up with the house full of smoke.

And, you just can't get that "smokey" flavor from cooking indoors.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:31 AM   #16
Sous Chef

absolutely outdoors. during hurricane Isabel we lost power for 10 days which was no problem for me. at that time we were living on the patuxent river in the boondocks. bathed in the river cooked on an open fire it was like a vacation for us. back to basics right? i also made my boys sling shots and they promptly shot each other with prickle balls. heaven on earth.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:40 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Not a big outdoor cooker, as I'm alone and it's stupid to turn grill on for 1 hotdog. But no way do I agree with "basically the same taste as inside". EVERYTHING tastes better cooked outside. (except maybe Birthday Cake! LOL!) Did you ever make brewed coffee on the grill? Died and gone to heaven yum! Or breakfast eggsand bacon? OMG! To Die For! And ribs???????????? I better stop there.
That's why I always put three on
Old 11-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:

For one, it sounds like you have not experienced good outdoor cooking. That's the only reason one would ask such a question.

You cannot equate indoor and outdoor cooking. Although you are essentially doing the same thing by heating food, you get completely different results. I love the smell of pork roasting away along with the sweet smell of hickory, apple or mesquite. Drives me bonkers.

Answers to your questions:

1) Less pots and pans, how is it messier? Plus, in the spring and summer you can eat right off the grill.

2 & 3) Who cares, it tastes good.

4) How can this be done indoors in a regular run-of-the-mill kitchen?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #19
Sous Chef

you know you love out-door cooking when you do it in the snow.
Afrikaans for out-door cooking is Braaivleis which essentially means
grilled meat
Old 11-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #20
Executive Chef

My grills and smoker run 365 here. Rain, snow, whatever.