A few smoking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are their fruit orchards in Oklahoma? You have tweaked my curiosity. I am going to find out if there are any here in Panama. Must be: anything except trees that need a frost to set their fruit will grow and flourish here. (Means no apples, I think.)

There is no extended period of real hot temperature either, so no sweet corn here.

Chau,
Marty

Yep! I do know that there are some HUGE peach orchards near a town about an hour's drive from where I live. Plum trees used to grow wild here, back before the area was settled. I don't know if they still do or not. Pear trees grow here, as I remember one of my relatives having a pear tree in their back yard. I've seen a few apple trees here and there. By and large, though, most orchards here are pecan orchards. Luckily, Pecan is a great wood to smoke with! Whenever there are storm-damaged trees, or someone takes a pecan tree out of production, there is pecan wood available. If you're lucky, you can get some for free. Otherwise, you have to buy it, and while it's not exactly expensive (usually US$10 for a 50 lb bag), it's not as good as "free".

I'm going to make a concerted effort to save some of this wood rather than dragging it out back and forgetting about it. I guess the pear trees aren't good anymore, but I've got cherry trees, apple trees and walnut, too. And I am routinely picking up branches or cutting overhanging limbs.

So I take it they need used up right away? Is there any cure time, or drying time? How long before they aren't any good, like those pear trees? Is there a rule of thumb to follow as to when wood is good for smoking and when it is bad?

I'm going to make a concerted effort to save some of this wood rather than dragging it out back and forgetting about it. I guess the pear trees aren't good anymore, but I've got cherry trees, apple trees and walnut, too. And I am routinely picking up branches or cutting overhanging limbs.

So I take it they need used up right away? Is there any cure time, or drying time? How long before they aren't any good, like those pear trees? Is there a rule of thumb to follow as to when wood is good for smoking and when it is bad?

I don't think the pear wood you have is necessarily bad. Like it was said, you need to check for rot, insects, mold etc.. Otherwise, if you don't have those problems, the woood should be perfectly fine.

I don't think the pear wood you have is necessarily bad. Like it was said, you need to check for rot, insects, mold etc.. Otherwise, if you don't have those problems, the woood should be perfectly fine.

Oh. I should be able to see that when I cut it up.
I don't think there's any more bugs in it now than when I cut the trees down, maybe less :LOL:

I'll let you know. I'm doing ribs this weekend. I'll have to see if I can still get at that pear. One of these days I've got to light up that brush pile.

'Tis Fall, and Halloween is almost here. Get some marshmallows, hot dogs, etc., maybe some apples for bobbing, and have a bonfire. Be sure to invite a bunch of friends. BYOB!

Back
Top Bottom