A Sin? You Tell Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had to take time to think about this one. I love and take my BBQ seriously, so this post had me torn between the flavor, and the texture.

Then I realized, the Gerbers does not make a jar of BBQ, at which point I decided that churning BBQ into a textural mass of nothingness is cruel and unusual punishment.

I can understand that when processing BBQ for a number of people at one time is where you want to have "short-cuts" that save time. Turning BBQ into mush is not one I'd use, or pay someone else to do. If you can't use forks to pull your pork in an efficient manner, bring along someone that can.
The propane I can forgive (if using wood chips appropriately), but turning bbq into Pablum? Nope, I can't forgive that no matter how good the flavor.

Bob

A sin?

hmmm

In WI we have a type of sub, it is called a 'grinder', I'm wondering if they are referring to a grinder? I don't know. They usually have ground meat or seafood, they are good.

'thou shalt not kill'.......a sin? :LOL:

I'm not a vegetarian either.

You know another thing, I've met a few people (not children) that only like things easy to chew, like hamburger, hotdogs, sausage....I've always wondered if they grew up not liking having to chew things.

It takes all types.

I had to take time to think about this one. I love and take my BBQ seriously, so this post had me torn between the flavor, and the texture.

Then I realized, the Gerbers does not make a jar of BBQ, at which point I decided that churning BBQ into a textural mass of nothingness is cruel and unusual punishment.

I can understand that when processing BBQ for a number of people at one time is where you want to have "short-cuts" that save time. Turning BBQ into mush is not one I'd use, or pay someone else to do. If you can't use forks to pull your pork in an efficient manner, bring along someone that can.
The propane I can forgive (if using wood chips appropriately), but turning bbq into Pablum? Nope, I can't forgive that no matter how good the flavor.

Bob

texture is pretty much a deal-breaker for me. there are things that
you expect to be mushy...that are supposed to be mushy...like, oh,
oatmeal. yogurt. ice cream. NOT bbq pork. :sick:

living in Kansas City, I can tell you that this is not just wrong.
it is an abomination:devilish:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

texture is pretty much a deal-breaker for me. there are things that
you expect to be mushy...that are supposed to be mushy...like, oh,
oatmeal. yogurt. ice cream. NOT bbq pork. :sick:

living in Kansas City, I can tell you that this is not just wrong.
it is an abomination:devilish:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Ellakav - It did take me a day or so to decide, since the BBQ tasted good, and the smoke ring was there for the not mush stuff.

But I agree with you. The mush pulled pork is a deal breaker.

I be your pal now... if you are in KC, where is your favorite BBQ place? I had to spend a couple of weeks at the FBI head qtrs there once, and sampled as much as I could.

Bob

HH and I went to a graduation party on Saturday, where the hosts had hired a guy to do barbecue for the occasion.

He had a nice-looking cooker, but was using propane instead of charcoal or wood, which I decided to overlook since he was getting a nice smoke ring on the ribs. chickens, and Boston butts he was cooking.

But we had never seen someone take a nice piece of barbecued pork and run it thru a grinder, turning it into something resembling the texture of some kinds of cole slaw I have seen.

If you want more information search Skylight Inn, Ayden NC

HH said he wanted to cry, but he is too polite to do such a thing in front of a man who was obviously working hard to make us all some nice barbecue --- but, but MINCED pork??????

I have to admit to a prejudice to the tomato-based sauces for barbecue, and this guy was serving the vinegar-based east NC type of sauce. My question is, is this another technique typical of that kind of cooking? I had never seen it before, and our hosts gave us at least a couple of pounds of this stuff to take home. I have no idea what to do with it, except make some kind of sloppy joes out of it.

Pulled pork and ribs I can deal with jes' fine. But this was a new one on us, and it just ain't right!

Whole hog in the Carolina's is done a few ways, one is to chop the meat of hog with meat cleavers. Some instead of chopping they run the Q through a grinder. Serving with a vinegar sauce is very traditional in North Carolina.

Ellakav: a a vile, wretched elitist of the first order, I couldn't agree with you more. (Did you get that recipe I sent you by PM?).

jminion: Having partaken of many, many helpings of Q in NC, I have never encountered "ground" Q substituted for chopped. Ever. The vinegar sauce, which is supreme, is from the Piedmont area of NC; there are two other sauces from different regions of the state.

A sin?

hmmm

In WI we have a type of sub, it is called a 'grinder', I'm wondering if they are referring to a grinder? I don't know. They usually have ground meat or seafood, they are good.

'thou shalt not kill'.......a sin? :LOL:

I'm not a vegetarian either.

You know another thing, I've met a few people (not children) that only like things easy to chew, like hamburger, hotdogs, sausage....I've always wondered if they grew up not liking having to chew things.

It takes all types.

Blissful? That's just plain wrong. You should tell your fellow cheese heads to take good care of, and pamper the Q, and the seafood, Not grind them.

Take care of your seafood and Q? They'll take care of you :)

Bob

This is one of those subjects that just crack me up! Barbecue, and the various "it can only be done THIS way" feelings. To me, if everyone relaxed and just enjoyed each others' food without saying that it has to be made ONLY the way they've had it all their lives, the world would be a better place. Maybe some real wars could be averted! If you don't think beans belong in chili, then cook it that way when YOU are hosting. If you think barbecue meat should be pulled, do it that way when YOU are cooking. If you think cassoulet needs rabbit and not duck, YOU cook it and treat your friends. Otherwise, chow down and say thank you very much!

Claire - Don't get us started, or we'll have to start picking on you . :) So would you like a little BBQ sauce with your pablum?

Bob

Blissful? That's just plain wrong. You should tell your fellow cheese heads to take good care of, and pamper the Q, and the seafood, Not grind them.

Take care of your seafood and Q? They'll take care of you :)

Bob
:LOL::LOL::LOL: I'll let them know. :LOL: :)

I've only one thing to say, well, maybe two.

1. What's wrong with potted meat:ohmy:? I love the stuff, especially Libby's brand.

2. I always pull my pork with forks, but have on occasion skipped the long smoking session due to lack of time, cooked in the slow cooker, and then pulled and smoked the pulled pork for half an hour or so in apple wood. Flavor and texture wise, you couldn't tell the difference between the short-smoked, already shredded meat and the same dish smoked for 12 hours whole. I have secret methods. Mooohuahahahaha:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Well spoken NorthWeed. We've all taken a shortcut or two, usually with some measure of success (thank goodness!). As for potted meats, yes, they're fine, but they ain't BBQ!

Thanks Dave! You expressed exactly how I feel on that. A good meal tasting meal is not one I'm prone to turn down on based on my nose being stuck to high up in the air.

OTOH, if it ain't Q, it ain't Q.

I happen to like in the oven, and in the slow cooker (both I use when forced to). But there is no substitute for the real deal.

Goodweed - You could slap me silly, put a blindfold on me and ask me to pin the tail on the Q, vs what you turned out of the slow cooker, and the oven, and I'd wager cash on the outcome. Mr nose and tongue would know, and I'd enrich my pocket.

Bob

jminion: Having partaken of many, many helpings of Q in NC, I have never encountered "ground" Q substituted for chopped. Ever. The vinegar sauce, which is supreme, is from the Piedmont area of NC; there are two other sauces from different regions of the state.

here is video on the Skylight Inn and they talk about the fact people grind and it changes the flavor.

slow food rebellion

Casper, I've been cooking in all ways and forms for 40 years, and one thing I have learned is not to cook anything for anyone who believes they're an expert. For example, I have southern friends I'd never fry chicken for, even though hers tastes exactly like my mother's (and she's from NH). I have a friend who is an expert breakfast cook. Not going to so much as scramble an egg for him. And I wouldn't touch barbecue in any form with a ten foot pole, because everyone and only one way to do it, and it is a religion. I never fixed eastern European food for my in-laws, although my husband says mine is better. But I never, ever fix a food for someone who thinks that is THEIR specialty. So you can't pick on me! Haha! Seriously, given a choice, I like Korean barbecue or the vinegar based one (I do not have a sweet tooth), prefer pulled to chopped, but then my teeth are still in reasonable shape. But I simply don't think my preferences are the golden rule.

Claire - I hope I didn't imply I'm an expert. Being a "cook" for 39 years qualifies me as someone that can make decent food, but not an expert.

I've also stated that doing the facsimile of Q in the oven or slow cooker is perfectly acceptable. But just because it tastes good, does not make it BBQ.

BBQ is low and slow in the smoke. That's not my definition, it is the accepted definition every where.

Now, if you wanted to cook some spare ribs in the oven, and slather them with BBQ sauce, you could still invite me over, and I would enjoy them. Well, at least the company :)

Bob

I reckon that fellow was either
A. Short handed and resorted to mechanical help.
B. Seen it done before and thought it was ok or "cool".
C. Too lazy to chop it up properly.

Having prepared several hundred pounds of barbecue in my time, it does take some work to chop it up properly. I have had barbecue that was treated in such a manner and it is entirely too soft and lacking the texture to make it palatable. IMHO.

Or maybe:

D. This is the only way he knows or was taught, maybe no-one has ever shown him the 'proper' way to do it. And since this is the only way he knows how to do it, he thinks everybody is fine with it since they don't want to 'hurt his feelings' by telling him that it's wrong.

That's my opinion (low as it may be) or best guess, but cie la vie.:rolleyes:

Or maybe:

D. This is the only way he knows or was taught, maybe no-one has ever shown him the 'proper' way to do it. And since this is the only way he knows how to do it, he thinks everybody is fine with it since they don't want to 'hurt his feelings' by telling him that it's wrong.

That's my opinion (low as it may be) or best guess, but cie la vie.:rolleyes:
Everyone is forgetting the possibility of option E:

E - He likes it this way.

It would not be my choice, but if he likes it then who is he hurting?

Claire - I hope I didn't imply I'm an expert. Being a "cook" for 39 years qualifies me as someone that can make decent food, but not an expert.

I've also stated that doing the facsimile of Q in the oven or slow cooker is perfectly acceptable. But just because it tastes good, does not make it BBQ.

BBQ is low and slow in the smoke. That's not my definition, it is the accepted definition every where.

Now, if you wanted to cook some spare ribs in the oven, and slather them with BBQ sauce, you could still invite me over, and I would enjoy them. Well, at least the company :)

Bob

You missed a step. I do smoke the meat in heavy, apple-wood smoke. but since the meat is already shredded, and ahs been spread out in a large, flat cast-iron pan, it just doesn't take as long for the smoke to permeate the meat. There is a much greater surface area for the smoke to access. Believe me, it's not "oven-cooked with barbecue sauce". It isn't cooked with any sauce at all, just some salt and onions. The flavor comes from the smoke. Sauce is put on when the meat is placed into the bun or bread for the sandwich.

And I agree that the traditional slow-smoked version is true Q. But if in a pinch, and circumstances dictate, then my method is a good substitution, and you don't have to mind the fire for as long (it also uses less wood).

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed -

Thanks for another method that I'll try. It actually sounds like a good way of doing it quickly, that you could even do in a regular grill (no smoker needed). I would probably try with a mop though, and keep the wood/coals off to the side. I have a good size non-stick pan for doing veggies on the grill that would work.

I could even put it directly over the cools for the last 15 minutes or so, and have lots of bark :)

Bob

Back
Top Bottom