"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 06-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #21
Sous Chef

I had to take time to think about this one. I love and take my BBQ seriously, so this post had me torn between the flavor, and the texture.

Then I realized, the Gerbers does not make a jar of BBQ, at which point I decided that churning BBQ into a textural mass of nothingness is cruel and unusual punishment.

I can understand that when processing BBQ for a number of people at one time is where you want to have "short-cuts" that save time. Turning BBQ into mush is not one I'd use, or pay someone else to do. If you can't use forks to pull your pork in an efficient manner, bring along someone that can.
The propane I can forgive (if using wood chips appropriately), but turning bbq into Pablum? Nope, I can't forgive that no matter how good the flavor.

Bob

Old 06-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #22
Head Chef

A sin?

hmmm

In WI we have a type of sub, it is called a 'grinder', I'm wondering if they are referring to a grinder? I don't know. They usually have ground meat or seafood, they are good.

'thou shalt not kill'.......a sin?

I'm not a vegetarian either.

You know another thing, I've met a few people (not children) that only like things easy to chew, like hamburger, hotdogs, sausage....I've always wondered if they grew up not liking having to chew things.

It takes all types.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:18 AM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperImproved View Post
I had to take time to think about this one. I love and take my BBQ seriously, so this post had me torn between the flavor, and the texture.

Then I realized, the Gerbers does not make a jar of BBQ, at which point I decided that churning BBQ into a textural mass of nothingness is cruel and unusual punishment.

I can understand that when processing BBQ for a number of people at one time is where you want to have "short-cuts" that save time. Turning BBQ into mush is not one I'd use, or pay someone else to do. If you can't use forks to pull your pork in an efficient manner, bring along someone that can.
The propane I can forgive (if using wood chips appropriately), but turning bbq into Pablum? Nope, I can't forgive that no matter how good the flavor.

Bob

texture is pretty much a deal-breaker for me. there are things that
you expect to be mushy...that are supposed to be mushy...like, oh,
oatmeal. yogurt. ice cream. NOT bbq pork.

living in Kansas City, I can tell you that this is not just wrong.
it is an abomination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 01:37 AM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellakav View Post
texture is pretty much a deal-breaker for me. there are things that
you expect to be mushy...that are supposed to be mushy...like, oh,
oatmeal. yogurt. ice cream. NOT bbq pork.

living in Kansas City, I can tell you that this is not just wrong.
it is an abomination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ellakav - It did take me a day or so to decide, since the BBQ tasted good, and the smoke ring was there for the not mush stuff.

But I agree with you. The mush pulled pork is a deal breaker.

I be your pal now... if you are in KC, where is your favorite BBQ place? I had to spend a couple of weeks at the FBI head qtrs there once, and sampled as much as I could.

Bob
Old 06-23-2009, 12:30 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
HH and I went to a graduation party on Saturday, where the hosts had hired a guy to do barbecue for the occasion.

He had a nice-looking cooker, but was using propane instead of charcoal or wood, which I decided to overlook since he was getting a nice smoke ring on the ribs. chickens, and Boston butts he was cooking.

But we had never seen someone take a nice piece of barbecued pork and run it thru a grinder, turning it into something resembling the texture of some kinds of cole slaw I have seen.

If you want more information search Skylight Inn, Ayden NC

HH said he wanted to cry, but he is too polite to do such a thing in front of a man who was obviously working hard to make us all some nice barbecue --- but, but MINCED pork??????

I have to admit to a prejudice to the tomato-based sauces for barbecue, and this guy was serving the vinegar-based east NC type of sauce. My question is, is this another technique typical of that kind of cooking? I had never seen it before, and our hosts gave us at least a couple of pounds of this stuff to take home. I have no idea what to do with it, except make some kind of sloppy joes out of it.

Pulled pork and ribs I can deal with jes' fine. But this was a new one on us, and it just ain't right!
Whole hog in the Carolina's is done a few ways, one is to chop the meat of hog with meat cleavers. Some instead of chopping they run the Q through a grinder. Serving with a vinegar sauce is very traditional in North Carolina.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:44 AM   #26
Sous Chef

Ellakav: a a vile, wretched elitist of the first order, I couldn't agree with you more. (Did you get that recipe I sent you by PM?).

jminion: Having partaken of many, many helpings of Q in NC, I have never encountered "ground" Q substituted for chopped. Ever. The vinegar sauce, which is supreme, is from the Piedmont area of NC; there are two other sauces from different regions of the state.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:18 AM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
A sin?

hmmm

In WI we have a type of sub, it is called a 'grinder', I'm wondering if they are referring to a grinder? I don't know. They usually have ground meat or seafood, they are good.

'thou shalt not kill'.......a sin?

I'm not a vegetarian either.

You know another thing, I've met a few people (not children) that only like things easy to chew, like hamburger, hotdogs, sausage....I've always wondered if they grew up not liking having to chew things.

It takes all types.
Blissful? That's just plain wrong. You should tell your fellow cheese heads to take good care of, and pamper the Q, and the seafood, Not grind them.

Take care of your seafood and Q? They'll take care of you :-)

Bob
Old 06-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #28
Master Chef

This is one of those subjects that just crack me up! Barbecue, and the various "it can only be done THIS way" feelings. To me, if everyone relaxed and just enjoyed each others' food without saying that it has to be made ONLY the way they've had it all their lives, the world would be a better place. Maybe some real wars could be averted! If you don't think beans belong in chili, then cook it that way when YOU are hosting. If you think barbecue meat should be pulled, do it that way when YOU are cooking. If you think cassoulet needs rabbit and not duck, YOU cook it and treat your friends. Otherwise, chow down and say thank you very much!
Old 06-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #29
Sous Chef

Claire - Don't get us started, or we'll have to start picking on you . :-) So would you like a little BBQ sauce with your pablum?

Bob
Old 06-23-2009, 07:36 AM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperImproved View Post
Blissful? That's just plain wrong. You should tell your fellow cheese heads to take good care of, and pamper the Q, and the seafood, Not grind them.

Take care of your seafood and Q? They'll take care of you :-)

Bob
I'll let them know. :-)