"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 06-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #31
Master Chef

I've only one thing to say, well, maybe two.

1. What's wrong with potted meat? I love the stuff, especially Libby's brand.

2. I always pull my pork with forks, but have on occasion skipped the long smoking session due to lack of time, cooked in the slow cooker, and then pulled and smoked the pulled pork for half an hour or so in apple wood. Flavor and texture wise, you couldn't tell the difference between the short-smoked, already shredded meat and the same dish smoked for 12 hours whole. I have secret methods. Mooohuahahahaha

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Well spoken NorthWeed. We've all taken a shortcut or two, usually with some measure of success (thank goodness!). As for potted meats, yes, they're fine, but they ain't BBQ!

Old 06-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Thanks Dave! You expressed exactly how I feel on that. A good meal tasting meal is not one I'm prone to turn down on based on my nose being stuck to high up in the air.

OTOH, if it ain't Q, it ain't Q.

I happen to like in the oven, and in the slow cooker (both I use when forced to). But there is no substitute for the real deal.

Goodweed - You could slap me silly, put a blindfold on me and ask me to pin the tail on the Q, vs what you turned out of the slow cooker, and the oven, and I'd wager cash on the outcome. Mr nose and tongue would know, and I'd enrich my pocket.

Bob
Old 06-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave the baker View Post
jminion: Having partaken of many, many helpings of Q in NC, I have never encountered "ground" Q substituted for chopped. Ever. The vinegar sauce, which is supreme, is from the Piedmont area of NC; there are two other sauces from different regions of the state.
here is video on the Skylight Inn and they talk about the fact people grind and it changes the flavor.

slow food rebellion
Old 06-24-2009, 07:00 AM   #35
Master Chef

Casper, I've been cooking in all ways and forms for 40 years, and one thing I have learned is not to cook anything for anyone who believes they're an expert. For example, I have southern friends I'd never fry chicken for, even though hers tastes exactly like my mother's (and she's from NH). I have a friend who is an expert breakfast cook. Not going to so much as scramble an egg for him. And I wouldn't touch barbecue in any form with a ten foot pole, because everyone and only one way to do it, and it is a religion. I never fixed eastern European food for my in-laws, although my husband says mine is better. But I never, ever fix a food for someone who thinks that is THEIR specialty. So you can't pick on me! Haha! Seriously, given a choice, I like Korean barbecue or the vinegar based one (I do not have a sweet tooth), prefer pulled to chopped, but then my teeth are still in reasonable shape. But I simply don't think my preferences are the golden rule.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:21 AM   #36
Sous Chef

Claire - I hope I didn't imply I'm an expert. Being a "cook" for 39 years qualifies me as someone that can make decent food, but not an expert.

I've also stated that doing the facsimile of Q in the oven or slow cooker is perfectly acceptable. But just because it tastes good, does not make it BBQ.

BBQ is low and slow in the smoke. That's not my definition, it is the accepted definition every where.

Now, if you wanted to cook some spare ribs in the oven, and slather them with BBQ sauce, you could still invite me over, and I would enjoy them. Well, at least the company :-)

Bob
Old 06-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I reckon that fellow was either
A. Short handed and resorted to mechanical help.
B. Seen it done before and thought it was ok or "cool".
C. Too lazy to chop it up properly.

Having prepared several hundred pounds of barbecue in my time, it does take some work to chop it up properly. I have had barbecue that was treated in such a manner and it is entirely too soft and lacking the texture to make it palatable. IMHO.

Or maybe:

D. This is the only way he knows or was taught, maybe no-one has ever shown him the 'proper' way to do it. And since this is the only way he knows how to do it, he thinks everybody is fine with it since they don't want to 'hurt his feelings' by telling him that it's wrong.

That's my opinion (low as it may be) or best guess, but cie la vie.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:44 AM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodfiend View Post
Or maybe:

D. This is the only way he knows or was taught, maybe no-one has ever shown him the 'proper' way to do it. And since this is the only way he knows how to do it, he thinks everybody is fine with it since they don't want to 'hurt his feelings' by telling him that it's wrong.

That's my opinion (low as it may be) or best guess, but cie la vie.
Everyone is forgetting the possibility of option E:

E - He likes it this way.

It would not be my choice, but if he likes it then who is he hurting?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperImproved View Post
Claire - I hope I didn't imply I'm an expert. Being a "cook" for 39 years qualifies me as someone that can make decent food, but not an expert.

I've also stated that doing the facsimile of Q in the oven or slow cooker is perfectly acceptable. But just because it tastes good, does not make it BBQ.

BBQ is low and slow in the smoke. That's not my definition, it is the accepted definition every where.

Now, if you wanted to cook some spare ribs in the oven, and slather them with BBQ sauce, you could still invite me over, and I would enjoy them. Well, at least the company :-)

Bob
You missed a step. I do smoke the meat in heavy, apple-wood smoke. but since the meat is already shredded, and ahs been spread out in a large, flat cast-iron pan, it just doesn't take as long for the smoke to permeate the meat. There is a much greater surface area for the smoke to access. Believe me, it's not "oven-cooked with barbecue sauce". It isn't cooked with any sauce at all, just some salt and onions. The flavor comes from the smoke. Sauce is put on when the meat is placed into the bun or bread for the sandwich.

And I agree that the traditional slow-smoked version is true Q. But if in a pinch, and circumstances dictate, then my method is a good substitution, and you don't have to mind the fire for as long (it also uses less wood).

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #40
Sous Chef

Goodweed -

Thanks for another method that I'll try. It actually sounds like a good way of doing it quickly, that you could even do in a regular grill (no smoker needed). I would probably try with a mop though, and keep the wood/coals off to the side. I have a good size non-stick pan for doing veggies on the grill that would work.

I could even put it directly over the cools for the last 15 minutes or so, and have lots of bark :-)

Bob