"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Andouille Stuffed ABTs


ANDOUILLE STUFFED ABTS



Jalapeno peppers halved and mostly seeded.
Cream Cheese mixed with a little grated Pepper Jack, and finely diced green onion. A dash of course ground black pepper.
Stuff the peppers with the cheese mixture.
Cut the Andouille length wise to fit...Halve it....then halve the quarters.
Press the Andouille pieces into the cheese.
Wrapped in bacon........Cook until done.











Hey Andy M....Ya gotta try these!! Soooooo much better than the Little Smokies. If you are out of Andouille then find the very best quality smoked sausage you can find.

Enjoy!!

__________________

__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,349
Those look really good, Bob.

I'm having trouble keeping the cheese in the pepper. I smoked them @ 275-300F. How long did you do yours?
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Some where between 1 and 1 1/2 hours maybe. ~~ Turn your heat down a bit....just hot enough for the bacon to render...You can wrap length wise, then wrap around to totally seal the cheese in. I've never done it, but have seen it done..I would think it would take longer to cook as the bacon would be doubled/thicker........
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Some where between 1 and 1 1/2 hours maybe. ~~ Turn your heat down a bit....just hot enough for the bacon to render...You can wrap length wise, then wrap around to totally seal the cheese in. I've never done it, but have seen it done..I would think it would take longer to cook as the bacon would be doubled/thicker........
Thanks, I'll try again around 225-250 F.

I'm trying to perfect these for a pig roast we're going to end of the month. If I can't get them to my satisfaction, I'll have to come up with something else.

I have the andouille, saving it for the finished product.

PS. Saw a couple of recipes with sugar or honey in the cheese. I tried a little brown sugar and it's not a bad idea. I used cream cheese, garlic and onion, salt pepper brown sugar and sharp cheddar. The filling is good, just need to keep it in the pepper.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Buy the thinnest bacon (usually the inexpensive ones) you can find....As it warms a bit you may be able to 'stretch' 1/2 slice around end to end to help hold in the cheese...I guess buying shorter peppers would help with that. The last ones I bought were very long for a Jalapeno...I've got 4 plants that are just beginning to bear...they appear they will be short and fat!
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Buy the thinnest bacon (usually the inexpensive ones) you can find....As it warms a bit you may be able to 'stretch' 1/2 slice around end to end to help hold in the cheese...I guess buying shorter peppers would help with that. The last ones I bought were very long for a Jalapeno...I've got 4 plants that are just beginning to bear...they appear they will be short and fat!
I left the stem on this last batch to help keep the cheese in. The stem also works as a handle.

I guess if have to wrap tighter.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,764
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I can't see the pictures.

What is an "ABT?"
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
ABT's are Jalapeno peppers that are cut/halved length wise...seeds and membrane removed (mostly)...Filled with a mixture of cheeses...mostly cream cheese. Usually a Cocktail Weenie is laid on the cheese. Then the all of it is wrapped in a slice of bacon....and slowly cooked on a BBQ pit/grill until the bacon is done...ABT is an acronym for Atomic Buffalo Turd ~~~ Really!

No clue as to why you can't see the pictures....Maybe refresh your browser?
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,764
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Okay. but what does the ABT stand for/mean?
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
ABT's are Jalapeno peppers that are cut/halved length wise...seeds and membrane removed (mostly)...Filled with a mixture of cheeses...mostly cream cheese. Usually a Cocktail Weenie is laid on the cheese. Then the all of it is wrapped in a slice of bacon....and slowly cooked on a BBQ pit/grill until the bacon is done...ABT is an acronym for Atomic Buffalo Turd ~~~ Really!

No clue as to why you can't see the pictures....Maybe refresh your browser?

__________________

__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.