Andouille Stuffed ABTs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire

ANDOUILLE STUFFED ABTS

Jalapeno peppers halved and mostly seeded.
Cream Cheese mixed with a little grated Pepper Jack, and finely diced green onion. A dash of course ground black pepper.
Stuff the peppers with the cheese mixture.
Cut the Andouille length wise to fit...Halve it....then halve the quarters.
Press the Andouille pieces into the cheese.
Wrapped in bacon........Cook until done.

Hey Andy M....Ya gotta try these!! Soooooo much better than the Little Smokies. If you are out of Andouille then find the very best quality smoked sausage you can find.

Enjoy!!

Those look really good, Bob.

I'm having trouble keeping the cheese in the pepper. I smoked them @ 275-300F. How long did you do yours?

Some where between 1 and 1 1/2 hours maybe. ~~ Turn your heat down a bit....just hot enough for the bacon to render...You can wrap length wise, then wrap around to totally seal the cheese in. I've never done it, but have seen it done..I would think it would take longer to cook as the bacon would be doubled/thicker........

Some where between 1 and 1 1/2 hours maybe. ~~ Turn your heat down a bit....just hot enough for the bacon to render...You can wrap length wise, then wrap around to totally seal the cheese in. I've never done it, but have seen it done..I would think it would take longer to cook as the bacon would be doubled/thicker........

Thanks, I'll try again around 225-250 F.

I'm trying to perfect these for a pig roast we're going to end of the month. If I can't get them to my satisfaction, I'll have to come up with something else.

I have the andouille, saving it for the finished product.

PS. Saw a couple of recipes with sugar or honey in the cheese. I tried a little brown sugar and it's not a bad idea. I used cream cheese, garlic and onion, salt pepper brown sugar and sharp cheddar. The filling is good, just need to keep it in the pepper.

Buy the thinnest bacon (usually the inexpensive ones) you can find....As it warms a bit you may be able to 'stretch' 1/2 slice around end to end to help hold in the cheese...I guess buying shorter peppers would help with that.:LOL: The last ones I bought were very long for a Jalapeno...I've got 4 plants that are just beginning to bear...they appear they will be short and fat!

Buy the thinnest bacon (usually the inexpensive ones) you can find....As it warms a bit you may be able to 'stretch' 1/2 slice around end to end to help hold in the cheese...I guess buying shorter peppers would help with that.:LOL: The last ones I bought were very long for a Jalapeno...I've got 4 plants that are just beginning to bear...they appear they will be short and fat!

I left the stem on this last batch to help keep the cheese in. The stem also works as a handle.

I guess if have to wrap tighter.

ABT's are Jalapeno peppers that are cut/halved length wise...seeds and membrane removed (mostly)...Filled with a mixture of cheeses...mostly cream cheese. Usually a Cocktail Weenie is laid on the cheese. Then the all of it is wrapped in a slice of bacon....and slowly cooked on a BBQ pit/grill until the bacon is done...ABT is an acronym for Atomic Buffalo Turd ~~~ Really!

No clue as to why you can't see the pictures....Maybe refresh your browser?

ABT's are Jalapeno peppers that are cut/halved length wise...seeds and membrane removed (mostly)...Filled with a mixture of cheeses...mostly cream cheese. Usually a Cocktail Weenie is laid on the cheese. Then the all of it is wrapped in a slice of bacon....and slowly cooked on a BBQ pit/grill until the bacon is done...ABT is an acronym for Atomic Buffalo Turd ~~~ Really!

No clue as to why you can't see the pictures....Maybe refresh your browser?

:)

Those look really good, Bob.

I'm having trouble keeping the cheese in the pepper. I smoked them @ 275-300F. How long did you do yours?

God those look good, Andy what if you didn't cut them in half just split one side and removed seeds, and membrane that way, then stuffed them... Just a thought... ;):)

Andy...I meant to tell you that I made some...last week I think... using some left over BBQed brisket...Wasn't impressed! Thinking the next ones will be Shrimp!! Shrimp may turn to pencil erasers, but I wanna give it a shot anyway........

Andy...I meant to tell you that I made some...last week I think... using some left over BBQed brisket...Wasn't impressed! Thinking the next ones will be Shrimp!! Shrimp may turn to pencil erasers, but I wanna give it a shot anyway........

I have seen a couple of recipes using shrimp. That would be interesting. You could flavor the cheese with Old Bay.

Another recipe I saw dusted the completed ABT with BBQ rub.

Way to take one for the team. :)

I really need to quit thinking about em and just get on to making some of them.

I use smoked oysters, green onions, garlic and cream cheese sometimes.
Pepperoni, pepper jack cheese and sauteed mushrooms was good too.

Think outside the box with the wraps, too. Oversize pepperoni slices; pancetta
and just about any other thin sliced deli meat works just fine! (My wife will only
eat well crisped bacon, so I had to find some alternatives.)

Edit to add: My avatar picture is of ABTs with alternative wraps, come to think of it.

Back
Top Bottom