"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 12-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Another 3-2-1 question...Foil vs oven bags...

I know traditionally you're suppose to use foil for the 3-2-1 method...I've had problems with it sealing...If I use the heavy duty foil, I have better sealing results, but still doesn't seem to seal 100%...

Got to thinking, what about those plastic oven bags? Those seal 100%, would those work better than foil? Anyone ever try them?

Old 12-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I haven't tried the bags, but I've never had a loose seal with foil. I'm pretty sure any juice could seep out if I turned it upside down, but it holds the steam in pretty well.
I wrap it up like butchers use freezer paper. Let's say you tear off a piece 12" width by 24" long. Lay the ribs on it, bring the two long sides together and keep folding them together until you're fairly snug against the ribs. Then fold up each end. If you've ever gotten meat wrapped up in paper from a butcher, that's pretty much the same technique. Add juice in one end before it's folded if you want.
Gotta keep those tin foil companies in business (lol).

Old 12-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Head Chef

What pacanis said.

I do that quickly and un-carefully, so my packets may very well leak some steam. Never noticed a problem with it.

Lee
Old 12-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Just curious if anyone HAS ever used oven bags to see if there is any difference...

Probably do some experimenting in the beginning of the new year...
Old 12-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I haven't used oven bags and wouldn't. Cooking in plastic just does not sound appetizing to me.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
How about another player in the game? Reynolds makes "Hot Bags". They are a pouch made of heavy foil. They seal very well.

If you can cook a turkey in an oven bag, why not ribs?

Because I am new and still learning, would someone please tell me what the 3 2 1 method is?

Thank You

AC
Old 12-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

It's a BBQ method; 3 hours on the Q, typically with your rub on, 2 hours wrapped in foil, sometimes with liquid added, 1 hour back on the Q and you sauce at this point if you want to. The times can be adjusted, like if you were doing babybacks instead of the larger spare ribs, or short ribs, but there's still three stages.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellkhan View Post
I haven't used oven bags and wouldn't. Cooking in plastic just does not sound appetizing to me.
Cooking in reactive aluminum that I can't even to get to seal properly doesn't appeal to me :) If you buy ribs at the supermarket, they have been exposed to plastic due to the packaging...

For the record, I know I CAN do it...Good thinking with the oven foil bag for the sealing...

Logically it seems that a oven bag would be more effective device than foil...I would think the foil reflects heat would reflect more heat and be difficult to completely form an air tight seal...So an oven bagged 3-2-1 rib, should be a little more tender...How much? That is the question...
Old 12-12-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I think foil also helps reflect heat back in, otherwise how would those flimsy space blankets work. They are shiny on both sides just like aluminum foil.
Give it a try though. I don't see why it wouldn't work.... in an oven anyway.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
Head Chef

Bacardi, what are your ribs like when they are done? Are they tough??? Two hours in foil, even with steam leaks, should yield ribs that are pretty close to falling off the bone.

I only foil ribs for an hour these days (or not at all), since HD foil is TOO effective in steaming them. I don't like ribs falling off the bone.

Lee