Anybody smoke meat with grapevine??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoke king

Sous Chef
Recently, I had a tree guy at my house. He saw my smoker, and come to find out, he's a "smokehead"-you know, does the competitions, etc.

He was telling me about using "grapevine" to supplement other fruitwoods, and even went so far as to bring me some the next day.

I threw a piece on my grill along with some pear to flavor some chops and some chicken, and I thought it was awful! Bitter, with a nasty aftertaste that would'nt go away.

Did I do something wrong? I can't believe that after his going on and on about it that it was supposed to taste like that - any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Interesting... I never heard of using grapevine. Interested to hear what everyone says. Maybe some critter got to your vines... Blech.:sick:

It is a different flavor, I do not like it for the same reasons you have stated.

I will say, a little goes a long way.

It reminded me of Grappa, something else I do not like for those same reasons.

No, but when I lived on a small farm, we smoked meat with the many fallen apple tree limbs that we had available.

It was delicious.

Oh, wow, smoke king, I've never used grapevine in my smoker, and probably won't, based on your experience.

You described the way I feel about smoking with mesquite - yee UCK! I tried one small chunk one time and it stunk so badly I took it right off the smoker!

Lee

Yeah-I thought maybe I used it wrong (?) but it maybe a matter of taste-I don't like Brussel Sprouts either-but I've heard there are people that do!!

Heard/read about grapevines...but have never used them. Now the fruit of the vine is another story... properly handled it can be amazing.:ermm:

Actually bought some grapevine wood and smoked with it.

Have no idea what I purchased, it was many years ago but it was tasty.

Yep JPB-you described it perfectly-sour is the word I was looking for. I thought maybe I had used it wrong. Guess its safe to throw it out.....or put it on EBAY!!:LOL::ROFLMAO:

I used to smoke grapevine when I was a kid. The hole in the middle lets the hot gasses burn the bejesus out of your lungs!

I can remember doing that as a kid. Must be an Okie thing. Never could get a good drag off it, so I never burned my lungs.

I ran out of plum wood smoking a leg of lamb for Easter. I pulled down a bunch of wild grapevines and threw those in the fire. Good scent from the smoke, and the resulting lamb was just made of win.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom