"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 03-10-2008, 01:10 AM   #21
Head Chef

I have a recipe for baby-back ribs (pork) which involves steaming for 2.5 hours at 250F then broiling. Can I use this same recipe for beef ribs and achieve the same melt-in-the-mouth results?

I'm serving ribs for dinner to 3 Americans and 2 Indonesians (who are Muslims and therefore don't take pork). Thanks!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:38 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix View Post
I have a recipe for baby-back ribs (pork) which involves steaming for 2.5 hours at 250F then broiling. Can I use this same recipe for beef ribs and achieve the same melt-in-the-mouth results?

I'm serving ribs for dinner to 3 Americans and 2 Indonesians (who are Muslims and therefore don't take pork). Thanks!
In short, no. Long, what cut of beef ribs? How are you steaming? In a pot on a stovetop or in a smoker?

Old 03-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #23
Head Chef

Steaming in some liquid, sealed tightly in foil, in a pan, inside an oven. All things being equal, will the beef spareribs take the same amount of time as pork spare ribs to cook?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #24
Executive Chef

I've gotten into the habit of par-boiling my ribs for 20-30 minutes before I take
them outside for smoking/bbqing. This cuts down the cooking time a lot.
I ask my butcher to remove the shine bone and the membrane for me,
always. I also do not use any foil.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:40 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbasiszta View Post
I've gotten into the habit of par-boiling my ribs for 20-30 minutes before I take
them outside for smoking/bbqing. This cuts down the cooking time a lot.
I ask my butcher to remove the shine bone and the membrane for me,
always. I also do not use any foil.

You're leaving all of the flavor in the pot of water. If time is a problem you are much better off steaming them in the oven first. However, for the best ribs they have to be smoked for hours at a low temperature.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a View Post
You're leaving all of the flavor in the pot of water. If time is a problem you are much better off steaming them in the oven first. However, for the best ribs they have to be smoked for hours at a low temperature.
Thanks, John. I am certainly picking up on the fact that most cooks do not
use the parboil technique. I will give the "low heat, long smoke method and
see what I think. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #27
Senior Cook

What kind of cooker are you using Marty. If it's a grill instead of a smoker you might want to try steaming them first. Rub them with one of the many commercial rubs available. I often use a mixture of kosher or sea salt, garlic salt, and fresh ground blackpepper (60%/20%/20%) that I make up myself.

Place some liquid, water, apple juice, etc, in the bottom half of a broiler pan then the ribs on the top half. Cover with heavy duty aluminum foil then cut a few small slits in it. Into the oven for 1.5 hours at 250º then check their progress. If you want falling off the bone leave them longer, be careful though as you need to finish on the grill indirectly with medium heat and do not want then to break apart.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:28 PM   #28
Head Chef

you can smoke them on a grill ... just put the heat and smoke to
one side ..
Old 04-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #29
Master Chef

I have only one thing to say about those ribs. You seriously need to bring your rig and ribs up to my house.

Those look fabulous. I'm impressed.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a View Post
What kind of cooker are you using Marty. If it's a grill instead of a smoker you might want to try steaming them first. Rub them with one of the many commercial rubs available. I often use a mixture of kosher or sea salt, garlic salt, and fresh ground blackpepper (60%/20%/20%) that I make up myself.

Place some liquid, water, apple juice, etc, in the bottom half of a broiler pan then the ribs on the top half. Cover with heavy duty aluminum foil then cut a few small slits in it. Into the oven for 1.5 hours at 250º then check their progress. If you want falling off the bone leave them longer, be careful though as you need to finish on the grill indirectly with medium heat and do not want then to break apart.
I have two BBQs and will be buying a third if I can find what I am looking for.
I have a gas grill which I use for open lid grilling. You know, steaks, fish,
veggies, simple just cook-'em-outside stuff.

I also have a 22" charcoal Weber. This is my main smoker now, too. I have
owned an electric smoker, as well. It died in Australia, but I am looking for
another one here in Panama. I love to cook a meal for a few couples and friends, using various outdoor grills. You should have seen my setup in Australia!

I will try your rib "steam in the oven" technique. But first I am going to do the low heat, long smoke of baby backs or spare ribs I have read so much about on this forum.

Thank you for your suggestions and information.