Baby Back Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a recipe for baby-back ribs (pork) which involves steaming for 2.5 hours at 250F then broiling. Can I use this same recipe for beef ribs and achieve the same melt-in-the-mouth results?

I'm serving ribs for dinner to 3 Americans and 2 Indonesians (who are Muslims and therefore don't take pork). Thanks!

I have a recipe for baby-back ribs (pork) which involves steaming for 2.5 hours at 250F then broiling. Can I use this same recipe for beef ribs and achieve the same melt-in-the-mouth results?

I'm serving ribs for dinner to 3 Americans and 2 Indonesians (who are Muslims and therefore don't take pork). Thanks!

In short, no. Long, what cut of beef ribs? How are you steaming? In a pot on a stovetop or in a smoker?

Steaming in some liquid, sealed tightly in foil, in a pan, inside an oven. All things being equal, will the beef spareribs take the same amount of time as pork spare ribs to cook?

I've gotten into the habit of par-boiling my ribs for 20-30 minutes before I take
them outside for smoking/bbqing. This cuts down the cooking time a lot.
I ask my butcher to remove the shine bone and the membrane for me,
always. I also do not use any foil.

I've gotten into the habit of par-boiling my ribs for 20-30 minutes before I take
them outside for smoking/bbqing. This cuts down the cooking time a lot.
I ask my butcher to remove the shine bone and the membrane for me,
always. I also do not use any foil.

You're leaving all of the flavor in the pot of water. If time is a problem you are much better off steaming them in the oven first. However, for the best ribs they have to be smoked for hours at a low temperature.

You're leaving all of the flavor in the pot of water. If time is a problem you are much better off steaming them in the oven first. However, for the best ribs they have to be smoked for hours at a low temperature.
Thanks, John. I am certainly picking up on the fact that most cooks do not
use the parboil technique. I will give the "low heat, long smoke method and
see what I think. Thanks for the feedback.:cool:

What kind of cooker are you using Marty. If it's a grill instead of a smoker you might want to try steaming them first. Rub them with one of the many commercial rubs available. I often use a mixture of kosher or sea salt, garlic salt, and fresh ground blackpepper (60%/20%/20%) that I make up myself.

Place some liquid, water, apple juice, etc, in the bottom half of a broiler pan then the ribs on the top half. Cover with heavy duty aluminum foil then cut a few small slits in it. Into the oven for 1.5 hours at 250º then check their progress. If you want falling off the bone leave them longer, be careful though as you need to finish on the grill indirectly with medium heat and do not want then to break apart.

you can smoke them on a grill ... just put the heat and smoke to
one side ..

I have only one thing to say about those ribs. You seriously need to bring your rig and ribs up to my house.:LOL:

Those look fabulous. I'm impressed.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

What kind of cooker are you using Marty. If it's a grill instead of a smoker you might want to try steaming them first. Rub them with one of the many commercial rubs available. I often use a mixture of kosher or sea salt, garlic salt, and fresh ground blackpepper (60%/20%/20%) that I make up myself.

Place some liquid, water, apple juice, etc, in the bottom half of a broiler pan then the ribs on the top half. Cover with heavy duty aluminum foil then cut a few small slits in it. Into the oven for 1.5 hours at 250º then check their progress. If you want falling off the bone leave them longer, be careful though as you need to finish on the grill indirectly with medium heat and do not want then to break apart.
I have two BBQs and will be buying a third if I can find what I am looking for.
I have a gas grill which I use for open lid grilling. You know, steaks, fish,
veggies, simple just cook-'em-outside stuff.

I also have a 22" charcoal Weber. This is my main smoker now, too. I have
owned an electric smoker, as well. It died in Australia, but I am looking for
another one here in Panama. I love to cook a meal for a few couples and friends, using various outdoor grills. You should have seen my setup in Australia!

I will try your rib "steam in the oven" technique. But first I am going to do the low heat, long smoke of baby backs or spare ribs I have read so much about on this forum.

Thank you for your suggestions and information.:chef:

oops.
That comment was supposed to be in Saphellae's thread where she posted two pics of her ribs seasoned and ready to cook. I hate when the page doesn't load and I have to double post. I must have gone to the wrong rib thread. Oh well.

So who ever was cooking ribs in this thread.... post 'em up! :LOL:

i want this recipe.

What type of cut is it?
how do i prepare the meat?
Sauce or glaze used.

thanx

i want this recipe.

What type of cut is it?
how do i prepare the meat?
Sauce or glaze used.

thanx

You want the recipe for what the OP posted?

The title of the thread is baby back ribs - so baby backs is the cut

How do I prepare the meat? - that's in the first post too - though you might need a bit more help with the rub used. Once you do this a few times you will realize a rub isn't so hard and they are pretty standard.

Sauce or glaze used - that's also in the first post "mixture of apple jelly, honey, and KC Masterpiece". Just mix it and taste it, adjust.

You want the recipe for what the OP posted?

The title of the thread is baby back ribs - so baby backs is the cut

How do I prepare the meat? - that's in the first post too - though you might need a bit more help with the rub used. Once you do this a few times you will realize a rub isn't so hard and they are pretty standard.

Sauce or glaze used - that's also in the first post "mixture of apple jelly, honey, and KC Masterpiece". Just mix it and taste it, adjust.

are you sure it baby back ribs.. LOL jk

yeah a good rub that will go good with this glaze.

i like this recipe because its a shorter amount of time.

so 3 hours covered in foil
1 hour uncoverd
and 1 more additional hour covered in foil

Amen. I've done both oven steaming and now for the first time, smoking (in my Weber Genesis gas grill... yes it does work if you experiment a bit), and for flavor there is simply no comparison. No matter what I use for rub or sauce, or how I finish them on the grill, they still taste like seasoned pork roast when most of the cooking is done in the oven.

When I smoke them on the grill, that smoky taste comes through any sauce or rub and it's pure heaven. I dry rub, smoke them for about 4 hours, then for 20 minutes more I apply a fairly thin sauce (about half as thick as a typical store bought sauce) just to glaze them.

If I make some over the 4th I'll take a couple of pics and post them.

BTW I always remove the membrane. It only takes a few seconds and I since I apply the rub to both sides, I don't want the membrane blocking off the flavor from the meat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom