Bacon Weave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Someone asked me how I weave bacon, so today I took some pics (lotta hand washing going on, lol) of the method I use.
A bacon weave is usually associated with wrapping it around some meat you are smoking, but it can be baked in the oven as well and used to make some fancy looking bacon burgers by cutting it to size after it has cooked. These weaves were for some fatties, so four strips wide did the trick. And as doing most anything with bacon, letting it warm up some after it has come out of the refrigerator helps you stretch it and then the bacon adhere to whatever you are wrapping it around.

Use a cutting board and lay the strips side by side, with one end being even with the near edge of the cutting board. Flip up every other strip back onto itself.
1.jpg

Lay a horizontal piece across the strips and flip the other strips back down.
2.jpg

The reason you are using a cutting board is so you can now drag it towards you and let it hang over the edge counter. Now take the other strips and bring them towards you, letting them hang off of the edge of the cutting board. Bring them over so they are tight with the first horizontal strip you just layed in. It's warm bacon, it will stick to the board. Trust me ;)
3.jpg

Bring the dangling strips back up and bring the other strips back down so that now they are hanging. Repeat...
4.jpg

...until you have this.
5.jpg

Now you can transfer it to a sheet pan and bake it, or wrap it around a fatty,
or even make a turtle burger with it ;)
turtle burger.JPG

(Disclaimer: We are working with dangling bacon here. Doing this while your pet is underfoot is probably not a good idea ;))

Thanks. Who doesn't love bacon, lol.
That turtle burger is still a work in progress. The dang hot dogs cook too quick! I'll get it down one of these days though.

Pacanis you do an amazing job!

You should get a job on Lady Gaga's wardrobe team!

What, and be one of the few that knows if she is or isn't?! :ohmy:

:ROFLMAO:

Thanks, Aunt Bea. It's very therapeutic ;)

That turtle is wonderful, pacanis!!! I think I'll replace the "legs" with some sausages, and the "tail" and "head" with a different type of salsiccia.

You might try subbing brats for the hot dogs. They cook slower than hot dogs. Looks really yummy though!

Thanks for the idea, Jabbur. Brats might work. It was really a case of having a hard time crisping the bacon and not blackening the dogs. I even tried a foil tent over the hot dogs. Maybe something with a different kind of casing would work better. It's worth a shot.

That turtle is wonderful, pacanis!!! I think I'll replace the "legs" with some sausages, and the "tail" and "head" with a different type of salsiccia.

Thank You!
Here's a pic of it from our crazy "Peeps Challenge" back around Easter :LOL:

Attachments

• turtle%20burger%20peeps.jpg
    turtle%20burger%20peeps.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 192
OMG. Excellent tutorial, Pacanis! I will eat with my eyes, as all that porky goodness will put my cholesterol over the edge. Dang. Bacon, food of the gods.

Thank you very much, DL.
I'm sure you could weave turkey bacon if you had a mind to :ermm:
:LOL:

pacanis said:
Thank you very much, DL.
I'm sure you could weave turkey bacon if you had a mind to :ermm:
:LOL:

Turkey ain't no pig. Extremely poor substitute. I figure if and when I reach 80 or 90, all hell and bacon will break loose.

Turkey ain't no pig. Extremely poor substitute. I figure if and when I reach 80 or 90, all hell and bacon will break loose.

Ya got that right!
Heck I remember years ago, at deer camp, we were all responsible for one meal or food item. I brought my best friend with me for the first (and last) time and he brought SIZZLEAN! I can still hear everyone "commenting" while sitting around the tables that first breakfast... Within the hour someone was headed into town for large quantities of real BACON :LOL:
I have no idea what he was thinking, Just because he liked it :ermm:

Thanks. Who doesn't love bacon, lol.
That turtle burger is still a work in progress. The dang hot dogs cook too quick! I'll get it down one of these days though.

Can they be cooked separately and assembled just before serving?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom