"Badge of Honor"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
....as Raichlen would say.

I was able to split some apple wood a tree company gave me over the winter. Man, is that stuff dense.

Five hours of apple smoke and an hour in a 275 deg oven.....they just fell apart.:chef:

img_454091_0_62c402cb7bca65811895275f54bea6a4.jpg

Thanks. I can't believe how juicy and tender this batch came out. I'm getting closer to a real TNT smoked rib recipie.

QSis said:
Are those very meaty ribs, Jeekins? They look fantastic!

Lee

It was a rack of babybacks. They had quite a bit more meat than the spares I usually make. I think the ribs cost $12 from the supermarket.

How yummy!! I miss red meat!! Dh still can't eat that. I would kill for a brisket or ribs right now!! Good job Jeekinz!!

Did you use any kind of rub on them first? I did ribs last night too but I just didn't have the right kind of rub and I had to "hurry" them because I didn't start them in time.

Yes, I ditto what AllenOK said!!!!!!!!!!

texasgirl said:
How yummy!! I miss red meat!! Dh still can't eat that. I would kill for a brisket or ribs right now!! Good job Jeekinz!!

It's the "other white meat"

Thanks for the compliments folks.

No rub on these, just OO S&P. I used apple juice/brown sugar mop and placed a tin of apple juice in the smoker.;)

I topped them off with my bourbon BBQ sauce.

I discovered apple wood a few years ago and maintain that there is nothing better for slow bbqing. I have been buying applewood smoked bacon at Trader Joe's and the flavor is far superior to hickory. Pecan wood runs a very close second and I love the way chicken tastes on a slow charcoal grill with pecan chips added. Raves!!:)

Hi Jeekinz
Those ribs look great, but I'm finding your total cooking time of six hours a bit excessive for baby backs.
I made these spareribs yesterday. They spent 4 hours in the smoker @225*, then were wrapped and place over indirect heat on my gas grill for 1 hour.
165_6583.JPG

I once saw a trick where you pick the rack half way up with a set of tongs, if the rack starts to split apart, it's done. I have also learned you can't use a clock when smoking. I've had country spares done in 4 hrs. and in 6 hrs.....go figure.:wacko:

Your ribs look real tasty though.;)

DramaQueen said:
I have been buying applewood smoked bacon at Trader Joe's and the flavor is far superior to hickory. :)

Oh, Drama! Try smoking storebought bacon over cherry wood! Incredible!

Lee

Last edited:
QSis -

It's always a Drama when you make something you can't share with everyone looking at your results, and they look *tasty*.

Crash & Jeekinz are just teasing the rest of us. You are just adding to the drama ;-(\

Stop it already ;-)

Casper

P.S. I will soon be smoking with a cheap Brinkman model (know you likely know which one I speak of). But want to actually do the mods needed to make it a lot more friendly. I also have a dual remote probe setup so I won't have to open it often, and plan to use primarily lump, and a few select dry woods.

Once I actually engage, I will have to make you guys drool to ;-) Just need to convince the wife to fork over the digital camera ;-)

Well.... I will try. Just have to actually make the time for the mods.

mudbug said:
Men
Fire
Pork

yeah, it's beginning to be summertime

ROFL! I like that one!

Personally, for me anyway, it's:
Men
Fire
Meat

Heck, we're having the club's Invitational Tourney this week, and I've been working like a dog for the past two days. Yesterday, we smoked off two small whole pigs.

Allen,

I've been trying like heck to find a replacement spit and forks for my roaster. I can't find one anywhere. The motor has a 3/4" recess and it needs to be at least 36" long before the handle.

This roaster can handle a whole suckling or a few turkeys, so it has to be pretty beefy. (no pun intended)

Back
Top Bottom