"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 06-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilkaye View Post
im new to bbq's and im going camping in august with my kids,iv done a few at home but usually cook the food a bit first before i bbq it just to be safe,when i go camping i will not have an oven,soooo my question is what is the best/safest food to store in a cool box(non electrical) and cook on a bbq safely for the kids
As long as you make sure food is cooked through on the grill, there's no need to pre-cook it. I've made beef, pork and chicken on a grill many times and never had a problem. An instant-read thermometer is your best bet if you're concerned about it - they're inexpensive, and so would be a good investment.

How long are you going to be camping? You can plan your meals so you're cooking meat the first couple of days, maybe up to three, and then eat less perishable foods the rest of the time. Cheese is a non-perishable item and doesn't need refrigeration. There are also preserved meats such as summer sausage and salami that don't need refrigeration.

The gel packs actually last longer than ice, and eliminate the water from melting.

Here's a good article about safe camp cooking: Camping Food Safety

One of the best tips is to take two coolers: One for storing meats, dairy and other things that *have* to be cold, and another for storing things that taste better cold but won't spoil at room temp, such as sodas, juice boxes, fresh fruit and veggies, etc. HTH.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

will do a test yes,good idea,deffo will have the meat frozen,the trip is for 5 nights but only need to store the meat for approx from leaving my house at 10 am until the following day around 6pm.i will pack separate to everything else so no cross contamination will take place,the easy way would be to buy the meat fresh on the day i suppose and ask the owners of the campsite if they would freeze my icepacks on the night so they are ready for the morning or evening,this would be my last option as i have a freezer full here and would be false economy to buy it all again

Old 06-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

gotgarlic- thanks 4 the advice and the link will read that in a while,think i might invest in the gel packs then,im not too bad with the cooking i suppose id certainly check it thoroughly before the kids ate it and like i said earlier im gunna cut small and flatten out the meat etc the main isue is the storage,very luckily the campsite has a facility(iv just rung them now)where you can hand in your ice packs 2 at a time and they will freeze them for you so i can replenish at my own convienience,there is a small charge mind but is very small so things are looking up
Old 06-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #14
Hospitality Queen

How nice that the campsite offers that service for you :)
Old 06-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

im kinda hoping we get good neighbours on the site that dont need ice then they can get 2 and give them to us!!! cunning