"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 06-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

basic bbq help needed

im new to bbq's and im going camping in august with my kids,iv done a few at home but usually cook the food a bit first before i bbq it just to be safe,when i go camping i will not have an oven,soooo my question is what is the best/safest food to store in a cool box(non electrical) and cook on a bbq safely for the kids

Old 06-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
Head Chef

are you talking smoking or grilling ?

Old 06-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

I'm gonna guess grilling -
one super-easy thing kids like is when you make foil packets and put various things inside, such as cut veggies and small pieces of meat. All it'll need is a bit of seasoning. Seal up the packets and cook till the meat's all done.

You could also get the kids involved with the most simple cookout idea - hotdogs! They're already cooked, so no need to worry.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
Master Chef

anything raw will have to be in a cooler with ice. When we go camping we bring along hotdogs, pre-cooked brats, lunch meat, and cheese. We still try and keep some ice in them in a cooler since they still should be kept cool, but that is safer then trying to bring along raw meats with no cooler full of ice.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
Head Chef

Yup, pretty much anything will be OK in a cooler. If you freeze what you can first, it will
stay cold MUCH longer. Just take it out to defrost, like at home.

If you have concerns about food being fully cooked, bring along a food thermometer to check internal temps with.
Skinless chicken breasts are good; they cook evenly and quickly. Freeze them in a marinade or BBQ
sauce! Foods that aren't too thick, and are uniform in thickness are easier to cook completely.

Of course, you could partially pre-cook many things, then finish them off over the fire....
Old 06-18-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
Head Chef

I take pork roasts, chicken, steaks, hamburger etc camping all the time. Just use a good cooler. Freeze the stuff used later. My cooler is so cold I often have to put what I want that evening near the top of the cooler so it will thaw.

I generally stick the frozen blue things in the bottom of the cooler. After 4 or 5 days, it usually has ice stuck to it so the bottom of the cooler remains very cold for a long time.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:11 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Before I can give suggestions on what to bring, storage may be an issue. What's this 'cool box' you're talking about? Just how cool is it? If it cannot hold meat at 40 degrees, there's nothing you can store in it for any length of time over 2 hours. Even hot dogs require refrigeration.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:13 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

thanks guys these are great ideas,i have a cooler box and ice packs but worried about the ice packs thawing very quickly,so if i put all the meat in the freezer then on the morning i go camping transfer to a cooler with ice packs i should be ok for what say 24 hrs or so maybee longer????
love2q-im grilling
jkath-i will cut the meat small and try the veggies too
maverick2272-unfortunately my kids dont like hot dog sausage or brats but love normal sausage,they will be ok in a cooler im guessing
grillingfood-as above i will freeze nights before,i dont have a thermometer so im gunna cut meat small or flatten out so each piece is about 6mm thick i should be safe with that
jeff g- will be takin burgers oh yes the kids love em,me too lots of fried onion mmmm,and does the blue freezer packs really last so long in a cooler??
Old 06-19-2008, 05:14 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

hi,verablue,its a basic non electrical cooler 28l i think
Old 06-19-2008, 08:59 AM   #10
Executive Chef

If I were you, I'd do a test with that thing before I risk looking meat to it. Pack it with your blue packs and leave it outside. See how long it takes them to defrost.

As for actually using them to hold meat, I'd advise against it. A combination of loose ice and those blue packs might be a safer alternative. Definitely, have the meat frozen to begin with before you pack it into the ice/pack combination.

How long is this trip for? Do you plan to hold meat for more than a few hours??

I strongly advise you to test your cooler to see how long it takes the ice to melt. Once it's melted, you are essentially holding your meat at room temperature, which, if you are outside, can easily be 80 degrees. At that point, the meat, any meat, is absolutely unsafe to eat, even if cooked.