BBQ Grand Salami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since no one else has answered you, no there's not, and it doesn't even have to be cream cheese. It's sort of a make it your own kind of dish/appy. The idea has been around for a long time and it's quite a popular dish. There is even a holder for whole peppers so they can be cooked upright and not lose any cheese. Of, if you get really big jalapenos, you can cut them in half lengthwise, lay them on their side, stuff, wrap and bake them that way.

I think a standard should be established, then variations can go on from there.

An ABT is a large jalapeno that has been halved lengthwise, seeds and pith scraped out, then it is filled with cream cheese and a little smokey sausage, and the whole stuffed jalapeno is wrapped in bacon and smoked.

I need a different standard. I cut the top off and scoop out the guts. Also, many ABTs don't have a smoky in them.

I kind of like the Andy approach, I am thinking poblano peppers as they are large., and maybe dice up some scotch bonnet for the stuffing. I will have to wrap them up in Turkey bacon, to keep my wife's vengeful god happy. He has a grudge for some obscure reason against pork.

I need a different standard. I cut the top off and scoop out the guts. Also, many ABTs don't have a smoky in them.

OK, sounds good. 2 standard variations on which to work from. Actually 4.

With and without the smokie, and side cut or top cut.

Fox, a poblano sounds good, and turkey bacon certainly will work.

Anybody dare an ABT with Bhut Jolokia, Naga Viper or Carolina Reaper.:ohmy::wacko: Personally, since these are meant as horses doovers, pablanos aren't a good choice.

The last ones I made were done upright as Andy does, but stuffed with homemade Mexican chorizo (cooked), oaxaca cheese mixed with a little adobo from a can of chipotles and wrapped in thin bacon. The only thing you can't control, heat wise, is the spiciness of the Japs.

Man, that sounds good, Craigsy.

Yeah, a poblano ABT is more of a side rather than an amuse bouche. But it could work with the hab filling, or you'd have to drop the atomic part.

Being a chili head, I would try a jolokia or reaper ABT. So long as I have peanut butter and milk available.

Man, that sounds good, Craigsy.

Yeah, a poblano ABT is more of a side rather than an amuse bouche. But it could work with the hab filling, or you'd have to drop the atomic part.

Being a chili head, I would try a jolokia or reaper ABT. So long as I have peanut butter and milk available.

Which one for which end?:angel:

I adore the ghost peppers. I have yet to sample the carolina Reaper, but hear good things! I'm a bit of a chilli head myself.

TBS

I use cream cheese mostly on my ABTs but occasionally use shredded cheeses as well.

img_1490555_0_eeb1dffaed2e602b1a455274d4bea012.jpg

Anyone has recipes to share with everyone today??? :D

What are you interested in? For the sausages you will need a meat grinder, stuffer, and natural casings before considering recipes. For most of the meats and sausages you will need some type of smoker. I can direct you to many recipes, but you still need some way to smoke them. Some folks tell you liquid smoke and a slow cooker can be used for pulled pork. You can, but it will not even come close to the taste of a butt cooked low and slow using wood smoke. In a slow cooker the butt sits in rendered fat.:( With a smoker that fat drips away during the cook.:)

Craig, you are in this post making me feel bad for living in an apartment and not having a back yard!

I am gonna have to wait till our next camping trip, in January, until I have anything cooking wise that competes.

Also, marrying a Jewess, I am now constrained in that I can't use pork. I salivate at your pork butt (yeah I doubt you ever expected to hear that phrase).

It does look nice. Keep the bbq pit pictures coming, I am a fan.

TBS

I live in a section of Boston that have multiple triple deckers. They all have a back porch that are built of wood. Even though it is illegal, a lot of families have their BBQ out on the back porch. But they put it near the railing. Not against the house. The previous owner of my daughter's house placed the BBQ against the house and melted the siding. My daughter has a really small BBQ on her porch since she is cooking for only two.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom