BBQ Pork Butt or Shoulder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smoke does not penetrate into meat it only lays on so the amount of smoke flavor you are looking for will be the key to how long you would add smoke. New cooks I suggest less is better, as you cook more you can add more smoke to those cooks until you find the right amount for you, your family and friends. Hickory is a strong flavored would depending on the cooker you won't need much.

Thank You

First off I would like to thank everyone on the forums that has posted any info concerning smoked meat and how to do it. Originally I am from North Carolina and moved to Canada a few years back. :in_love: (Women will do those things to ya) I grew up on pulled pork and ribs but always bought it. Try finding decent pulled pork up here, Good Luck, it is very hard to do. Not sure where to begin, I found this forum and started reading. I put all of your suggestions to the test starting with the pulled pork this past Easter Sunday. I cooked it in an electric smoker, (hey don’t make fun, I’m new to this) after 10 hours I pulled it out of the smoker and it was falling apart just looking at it. Loved it so much that I went out Monday and bought some ribs, smoked them today and now I’m hooked. Reminds me of the BBQ I get back home. I did however have a small problem with the PP. I used a finishing sauce that is a western N. Carolina recipe and it seemed to leave a strong vinegar after taste. Although I do like the finishing sauce, I was wondering if I should cut back on the amount of vinegar the next time. The recipe I used was:

· 2 cups cider vinegar
· 1 1/3 cups water
· 5/8 cup ketchup
· 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
·5 teaspoons salt
· 4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
· 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
· 1 teaspoon ground white pepper

I should also mention that I grew up on the red slaw that is also a vinegar base so I believe that by using both recipes, it added to the after taste. Thanks again to everyone as you have helped me bring a piece of home to my table.

Oh yea, this was my first post...YEEEEE HAAAAA

I also wanted to add that I read somewhere else on the net about the smoke ring and that it is caused by misting the pork every hour. Far be it for me to question anyone as I am still green at this but I tried it with a hawgwash spray and it did come out with a smoke ring. Or so it seemed to me. Just my 2 cents worth.

I Like This Rub!!

kitchenelf said:
For a BBQ shoulder here's what I do - I use my smoker.

Coat outside with olive oil and kosher salt (NOTHING ELSE!!!!!)

But if you want to do a rub try this:

The Rub
1/3 cup (85 ml) firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons (30 ml) garlic powder
2 tablespoons (30 ml) paprika
2 tablespoons (30 ml) ground white pepper
2 tablespoons (30 ml) ground black pepper
1 tablespoon (15 ml) ground cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon (15 ml) dry mustard
2 teaspoons (10 ml) ground sage
2 teaspoons (10 ml) ground thyme
1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground allspice

The Mop & Sauce
2 cups (500 ml) cider vinegar
1 cup (250 ml) corn oil
1 tablespoon (15 ml) Tabasco® or similar hot red pepper sauce

Use mop sauce through the cooking process - but the more you open that lid the longer it will take to cook - I like to cook mine to an internal temperature of at LEAST 200°F (100°C)

NOW, BACK TO MY INSTRUCTIONS WITH ONLY SALT AND OIL*****

Put apple juice in the water pan and plenty of it. Soak wood chunks (NOT CHIPS) for about 45 minutes) in either apple juice or water.

Place shoulder on smoker fat side up, close lid, and smoke for about 10-12 hours - up to 18 hours will have it absolutely falling off the bone and provide a beautiful smoke ring!!!!

I like a vinegar based bbq sauce - if you don't have one hollar - I'll post it.

I'm going to make this rub and use it for chicken and turkey too!!

It is excellent on chicken! Add about 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper or a bit more and it's even better on chicken that way!

thank you for the recipe for the rub, elfie! :chef: and thanks for all of the info, everyone!

i'm going to make this tonight, let it sit in the rub overnight, then cook it tomorrow as i begin my vacation. something to nibble on for the week.

i'm thinking of starting it on a lump hardwood charcoal grill, then finishing it in a crock pot over onions. i don't have the time to watch the grill for hours, and i don't want the oven on in the house all night, so it's my best plan so far.

i'm not sure if i should use indirect heat on the grill by putting the coals around the outside and a pan underneath. i'll probably only be able to keep it on the grill for an hour, or maybe two. i want char, but not burned.

then, i'll put it in the crock pot overnight. i think i'll add a little apple juice to the sliced onions that i use to set the roast on in the pot.

i won't get a decent bark doing it with this method, but it's more convenient.

Bucky - however long you can leave it on indirect heat with apple juice or water in the drip pan will be the best and don't forget to throw some soaked hickory chunks on there too. OUCH - I cringe at the crockpot but only because of the bark. I love cooking mine on just the rack in the oven - it turns to pure butter! But you have to do what you feel is safe - I understand.

yeah, dangerous things like fire and the curiosity of a child don't mix well.

i'm tempted to do it on the spit on my gas grill overnight. it has a rotisserie burner, but i've never used it before. but maybe...

thanks again. i'm making my shopping list now. need: cider vinegar, dry mustard, corn oil, and tobasco.

KPanic said:
I also wanted to add that I read somewhere else on the net about the smoke ring and that it is caused by misting the pork every hour. Far be it for me to question anyone as I am still green at this but I tried it with a hawgwash spray and it did come out with a smoke ring. Or so it seemed to me. Just my 2 cents worth.

I never use a spray and I have a smoke ring. Just my .34 cents worth :LOL:

'ello elfie!

just back from vacation. gettin' right down to bidness, it was deeeeeeelicious.

the shoulder sat in the rub for 2 days, until i finally had time to do it properly. i had a little uncle bob angel on one shoulder, and you on the other (actual size? :) ) telling me to do it as real bbq. heretofore, i've pretty much only bbq'd whole pigs at a friends' annual party; otherwise, my only experience is grilling.

i set up the old charcoal grill at the back of the yard, started a mix of lump and briquette in a chimney, then spread the coals around an aluminum tray containing an inch or so of apple juice. the tray was an old one leftover from thanksgivings past, so it wasn't in great shape. after a few minutes, the tray leaked and the juice ran out and down the leg of the grill.

that aside, i kept it on the grill for about 10 hours, turning the shoulder many times and adding more charcoal almost as many.

i'd remove the meat, and exercise and fan the coals to get the new ones started, replacing the meat while leaving the lid open for a little while. once, when the heat got so low so that i could almost touch the grill, i fired up another chimney on a loose set of bricks on the ground and added it when it was ready.

with a small grill, it seems that fire control is the hardest part of "low and slow".

but, with your recipe, i pulled a fantastic chunk of pork in around 2am and chowed down.

i tried the meat shredded a coupla ways: with a honey bbq sauce, spicey bbq, white vinegar/dijon, and cider vinegar/brown sugar.

all of them were great. an 8+ lb. roast yielded about 10 cups of shredded pork, half of which is frozen and will be my lunch over the next few weeks, when i need a fix.

thank you very much for the recipe, help, and inspiration. :chef:

Glad to hear it bt!!!!!!!!! Did you EVER get any liquid in the pan to stay? That will make a huge difference the next time and the apple juice imparts a wonderful flavor. I am also going to send you my two very favorite bbq sauces. For pulled pork they just HAVE to be homemade.

Also, a simple cider sauce of nothing more than white cider vinegar, hot chili flakes, and some black pepper make a great "drizzle" when on the sandwich.

This last time I smoked a whole chicken I used one chimney of briquettes and the other chimney of hardwood briquettes - that sucker stayed hot for the longest time! I was so impressed!!!!

This is one of my passions and I'm glad you got to experience it.

Have you brined a turkey or chicken and then smoked it? Smoked beer butt chicken? ..........with my ultra secret new rub of course....lol

I did the standard stuff:

kosher salt
brown sugar
ground mustard
regular chili powder
garlic powder
onion powder
ground cumin
oregano
I prefer smoked paprika over regular paprika

and then I added some:
ancho chili powder
and red curry powder (don't ask why - it was just "there")

It was REALLY good. I'm a firm believer it just doesn't matter what you use as long as the upper ingredients are in there. OK, I'll shut up. I get excited about this stuff! :blush:

Question with regards to doing a pork Shoulder or Butt.

Typically I keep the fat cap and season and smoke for the desired time. However I was watching a show on the Food network Canada last night, where the entered the Kansas City Brisket, Pulled Pork, Chicken and Ribs Championships. The talked about removing the fat cap completely from the Shoulder or butt. What are your thoughts about this?

I guess I would have to respectfully disagree. It's not like I make a pork butt every week so when I do I at least want that fat cap "protecting" it from drying out.

Fat cap on butt is not important like it is with brisket. There is much more internal fat and conective tissue with butt and that is what keeps it moist.
By removing the external fat on butt it gives you more bark to work with also.
Jim

Back
Top Bottom