"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 01-23-2007, 12:19 PM   #41
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
My g'ma gave me a pork butt a few days ago, along with a bunch of other things. I'm DEFINITELY going to smoke it, but it's probably going to be several months before I get around to doing that. Luckily, the pork is wrapped up really well and frozen.
Smoke it low and slow--250* --and you will have classic Carolina pork BBQ!!

Old 01-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #42
Assistant Cook

I just smoked 2 pork shoulders last Sun. Rub with salt and pepper only. Smoke at 250F until internal temp is at least 190F, usually 8 - 10 hours except during the winter when it can take longer. I used to smoke in an offset firebox barrel smoker using wood and/or charcoal. I liked lump charcoal but it burns faster and hotter than regular charcoal. Just don't use lighter fluid soaked charcoal. It imparts the taste to the meat. Last year my brother-in-law bought a Smokin' Tex electric smoker. After I finished laughing at this breach of purism, we tried it. Friends and neighbors I'm here to tell you that there is no difference. It's the rub and wood that makes the difference, not the heat source. I immediately sold my wood/charcoal smoker and bought an electric smoker. The beauty is that you load it up, set the temperature, insert an internal thermometer, close the door, and walk away!! I use wood pellets which work extremely well. I spray the meat with apple juice and a vinegar/V8 juice/red pepper flakes mixture several times during cooking. After several hours, I wrap the meat in foil to lock in the juices. Any PP which isn't eaten when cooked, is vacuum-sealed and put in the freezer. Freezing has no effect on the PP. Our friends actually ask for PP when we invite them over. Serve with your favorite BBQ sauce and cole slaw, either on the sandwhich or on the side.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:48 PM   #43
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks for the review. Are electric smokers "set it and forget it?" or do they require adjusting during the 8-10 hours of smoking?
Old 01-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #44
Assistant Cook

They really are "set it and forget it". I don't add wood during the process. I only open the door to spray the meat or when I wrap it in foil. I realize it's not the BBQ purist's way to smoke, but it's so simple and frees me up to do other things while smoking. I do miss the actual fire a little, but not when I think about the time I have for other things.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:45 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
The only difference I saw with my electric smoker versus NOT electric was my electric smoker produced no smoke ring Do you find that true with your electric smoker?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:34 PM   #46
Senior Cook

If you add one charcoal briquet to the wood tray a long with the wood chunls or chips you can produce smokering.
Jim
Old 01-25-2007, 10:44 PM   #47
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't understand something. If the electric smoker has wood chunks or chips in it to smoke the meat, and the internal temperature of the smoker was in the right temp range, i would expect the results to be the same as if you were usning firewood or charcoal.

If there is smoke, there should be a smoke ring. Can anyone explain why ther wouldn't be one?
Old 01-26-2007, 01:21 AM   #48
Senior Cook

Nitrates and nitrites from the charcoal as it burns is needed to get the chemical reaction with the pigment in the meat to turn color.
Jim
Old 01-26-2007, 01:59 AM   #49
Senior Cook

The "Rub" looks GREAT.
I prefer dry rubs t mopping liquids.

Why do you use:
2 tablespoons (30 ml) ground white pepper
2 tablespoons (30 ml) ground black pepper
1 tablespoon (15 ml) ground cayenne pepper

I know different peppers have different flavors but wouldn't these three used tgether counteract one another?

TIA
Old 01-26-2007, 09:06 AM   #50
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
Nitrates and nitrites from the charcoal as it burns is needed to get the chemical reaction with the pigment in the meat to turn color.
Jim

Thanks for the info. The same chemicals must also be in wood, because you can get a smoke ring burning logs as well as with charcoal.

If that's the case, why don't you get the smoke ring from the chunks of wood you burn to get the smoke in the electric smoker? If you can get it from one piece of charcoal, you should be able to get it from the smoking wood chinks.