BBQ Pork Butt or Shoulder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am a fat cap remover on boston butts! I also remove what is known as the "false cap" that lies underneath the fat cap. Sometimes this is where you find a hidden lymp node. Like Jim said, there is plenty of fat in the butt muscle to keep it moist and tender. Rubs/mops/sauces on the fat cap is wasted! Smoke flavor layed on the fat cap is wasted (unless you eat fat) Also, as Jim stated you create more surface area for bark.

That being said, do what makes you happy! I do!!
Beef brisket is another story.

Have Fun & Enjoy!

kitchenelf said:
I'm all about more bark and will definitely take your advice on this next time I smoke a pork butt

Miss Elf..

Next time ya BBQ pork butts, cook two. One with the cap left on, the other with the cap removed. See what you like best. I think I know, but I will let you decide. Oh, I don't normaly by two butts packaged together. Pick out two beauties seperately, but close to the same weight.

Have Fun & Enjoy!!!

Need advice on reheating for next day

I am cooking the pork butt today and want to know if I should pull the pork today and reheat tomorrow or should I leave the butt in tact and reheat and pull tomorrow. In either case at what temp and for how long. I am actually doing 24 lbs in 2 ovens. I am seving it for a 12pm lunch tomorrow.
Thanks

Cook it now and pull it. Then reheat the pulled meat tomorrow for service. It will heat very quickl;y in a microwave because it's shredded.

Whole butts will take 12-14 hours at 225 F.

I am cooking the pork butt today and want to know if I should pull the pork today and reheat tomorrow or should I leave the butt in tact and reheat and pull tomorrow. In either case at what temp and for how long. I am actually doing 24 lbs in 2 ovens. I am seving it for a 12pm lunch tomorrow.
Thanks

Plan B....Think about putting the butts in your oven (225*-250*) at 9:30 PM tonight...Go to bed...In the morning start checking the temperature with a thermometer...When you get to 190*-200* you're good to go...Wrap the whole butt(s) in foil till noon...then pull fresh, hot pork butt!

Enjoy!

Thanks!

I started it at 275 and dropped it back to 250 but it is still going to be a while. I will turn it down to 225 for the rest of the time. Do you think covered or uncovered? I would like to heat it in the oven in the morning. How long do you think?

Definitely UNcovered. You want the bark (crust) to develop and it can't if it's covered. Are you cooking it sitting directly on the rack with a pan of apple juice under it?

I usually heat mine in the microwave but if you want to heat in the oven then wrap in foil (a few smaller packets versus one larger one) for about 30 minutes or so at maybe 300? I have never really timed mine - just heated and checked and heated some more if needed.

Sorry Patty - I didn't realize you had posted earlier today.

I would take the meat out of the refrigerator about an hour before reheating then I would put some foil in a large pan, enough to overlap and securely cover the meat, then heat in the oven. Several smaller pans will get you there quicker.

And agreed - you should definitely pull AFTER you have let the meat rest for about 30 minutes first. You'll be tempted to pull sooner but don't. If you chop up the fat cap (not all of it if it's big) and mix it in the meat it will help keep the meat moist during reheating.

You can put the juice right under it on the next level down - the exposed meat will get some nice bark. You can move it if you want - I would...but that's just me :chef:

Thanks!

Thanks again for all your help! This is my first time cooking Pork Butt, wish I had found this web site sooner.

Back
Top Bottom