BBQ Pork Ribs Recipe Advice Required.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy 1967

Assistant Cook
Hello,

What non-sweet alternative ingredient could I use instead of cola, sugar, syrup, honey, mollases ect to make my BBQ Pork ribs sticky?
I am not a lover of anything sweet.

Thanks & Kind Regards In Advance.

Andy

Just so I'm understanding your question, you want to make your sauce sticky, but not sweet, is that correct? This is not as easy as it sounds, because most sticky foods also tend to be sweet.

Peanut butter is the first thing that comes to mind... :ermm:

I also have never been a fan of sweet ribs, but to make them sticky I think you need to have a little of some sort of sugar (as in ketchup etc.).
You know me Andy, I can't tell you my exact recipe for rib sauce but I can give you the ingredients I use. I simmer it till it reduces some.
ketchup
chili sauce (I like Heinz for this)
whiskey
liquid smoke
garlic powder
cumin
We like this sauce for ribs because it's not too sweet.

Whoops I thought I was talking to Andy M.
Welcome to Discuss Cooking, Andy 1967

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

I would start with minced sautéed onion and garlic and add ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Cook for a bit to reduce. It will have a little sweetness from the ketchup but the Worcestershire and mustard should balance it and make it more savory. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just a guess at proportions:

1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
2 cups ketchup
2-3 tsp. Worcestershire
1 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Last edited:
Why do the ribs need to be sticky?

They don't. Ours never are because I simply cannot stand most of the commercial sauces, they are too sweet and gloppy. The one commercial sauce I do like is Tom's Mild, it's a mustard based sauce. I can't find anywhere it's sold on-line but they do sell it in Publix if you have those and want to try it. A link to their FB page. https://www.facebook.com/tomsbbqsauce/

Craig usually puts some kind of rub on them I think, though less on the ones for me than for him, and then we sauce after they come off the grill. He also wraps and cooks mine a bit longer than his because I like mine fall off the bone tender and he like a little more bite to his.

Thanks ever so for all your replies.
You have all given me some great ideas.

The only reason I asked is because I hate sweet foods.
I don't east candy/sweets/ cookies/biscuits/ice cream/fizzy sweet drinks/cake etc at all.
Due to the fact I ate too much of the above when I was younger and it made be feel 'sickly'
Just in case you were wondering.

Kind Regards

Just a thought, molasses is not super sweet. It has some sweetness but a couple of tablespoons of it won't give you a "sweet" sauce, not like the 1/4 to 1/2 cup of brown sugar that many sauces call for.

Just a thought, molasses is not super sweet. It has some sweetness but a couple of tablespoons of it won't give you a "sweet" sauce, not like the 1/4 to 1/2 cup of brown sugar that many sauces call for.

That's true. And it gives the sauce a deep flavor that's hard to describe, but really delicious :yum:

Good idea, RP.

As I started reading this, I immediately thought Molasses. Bingo.

You can also substitute plain tomato sauce instead of catsup, use less so it doesn't taste too tomato-ey.

I looked at what I thought were my less sweet Bbq sauce recipes. My-my, they are full of sugars.

Here's one I found on About dot com/ Bbq sauces, not too sweet. Esp if you make suggested subs. I would add more hot pepper to this, but that's me.

Piedmont includes western North Carolina/ Kentucky, one of several US regions famous for its Bbq.

Piedmont Barbecue Sauce Recipe

Sweet BBQ sauce

In the South some prefer vinegar based BBQ sauce. I personally don't care for it but it's definitely not sweet.

Another alternative is to make GG's recipe or similar but start with a base of homemade catsup made to your taste.

One recipe is here: Takes about 15 minutes.

http://www.runwiki.org/2014/02/15/homemade-low-carb-ketchup-sugar-free/

I've done this. I dislike overly sweet and overly salty. I use honey rather than molasses or brown sugar and start with about half the suggested sweetener and almost no salt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom