"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 07-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Beer can chicken...what beer to use?

Hey all, I love grilling and anything to do with whole chickens. I'm entered in an informal "beer can chicken" competition tomorrow (grilling a whole chicken with a beer can in the cavity). I know my cooking technique (made several before) but am trying to think of a good beer varietal to put inside my bird that will work with my rub.

It's North African and gets its flavor primarily from dried red hot chiles, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, caraway seeds and garlic. Anybody have a good idea for a type of beer (remember, has to be canned) or another canned beverage that would complement and enhance the flavors?

Old 07-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Everymom

How about a Canadian? I'd suggest something like a Pilsner, but doubt you can get that down there.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
How about a Canadian? I'd suggest something like a Pilsner, but doubt you can get that down there.
Thanks Alix...I live in the US, by the way.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Keep in kind it does not have to be canned beer. You can bring an empty can with you and pour a bottle beer into it if you find one that you want to use.

For me, I find the flavor differences so minor in this kind of recipe that I would not notice different kinds of beer used.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I would agree with GB...however, if you want to use a beer/ale with a high hop rate such as an IPA, it might impart a trace of bitterness. I would save that beer for the cook and use a beer with somewhat less character for the chicken. As always, this is just MHO.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Master Chef

I've personally found absolutely no difference what liquid was used in the beer can. Most of the liquid remains in the can at the end of the cook anyway. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
In fact, I couldn't tell the difference among the couple or three different cooking methods I've used. I like the look of the finished chicken on the rotisserie. But that's just me.
YMMV.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

This topic came up a while ago. I did some reading and found several sites that conducted tests to determine whether beer can chicken actually tasted different/better than other.

Here is one link where you can read test methods and results and decide for yourself. Beer Can Chicken, Myth or Fact? -- Naked Whiz Ceramic Charcoal Cooking

You can google for others.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I wonder if one could put beer in a drip pan, use a rack to hold the chicken and get some good flavor that way.

I put hard cider in the drip pan for brats and there is a definite apple flavor there.

Might be time to do my own experiment!
Old 07-07-2011, 12:30 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
This topic came up a while ago. I did some reading and found several sites that conducted tests to determine whether beer can chicken actually tasted different/better than other.

Here is one link where you can read test methods and results and decide for yourself. Beer Can Chicken, Myth or Fact? -- Naked Whiz Ceramic Charcoal Cooking

You can google for others.
After reading that very article I wondered about it and made mental notes on the chickens I've done since.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:52 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Hmmm. Interesting read, Andy. I like the way the can postions the birs so all of the skin gets crispy, so I will still cook this way. But next time, I will drink all of the beer this time instead of half and just use the can as a stand.

Tags
beer