Better Burger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bknox said:
I also love to stuff blue cheese into the center. Bryan
Ive made thin beef patties and sandwiched "can o`beans" beans (Heinz), grated horse radish and sharp cheddar in between the paddies.
Seal the circumfrence to keep the juice in and heat and eat for a burger with a kick.:)
This was back in Canada, I cant seem to source fresh or grated horse radish in NZ.......only stuff with sweet mayo in it, barf me out!:sick:

i like to add some worchester, soy, garlic, pepper, onion, egg, a package of ramen crushed up, but not the flavor pack. i call it my Magget Burger. Spark up the barbie.

1 lb fresh ground lamb
1 lb fresh ground beef (80/20) and NOT lean ground beef
kosher salt & fresh cracked black pepper
sweet basil
crushed mint
garlic powder
dash of cayenne pepper
dash of brown sugar
sprinkle of worchestire sauce

mix well and let set for about 30 min.

i don't like grilled burgers... i just pan sear and throw them in the oven for a few minutes.

place between pita bread and apply yogurt on one side, mayo on the other side.

REMEMBER: DO NOT USE A FORK ON YOUR BURGERS... TURN WITH TONGS and don't press them.

Gary it is good that you joined DC. I don't have a BBQ but I do like black chef's receipt because I always make my burgers in the oven.

You will really like our cooking site because there are very special and wonderful cooks and chefs and there is a lot to learn from them.

Most everyone has a good sense of humor and are truely nice people.

Happy Sunday.

GB said:
Here is what I add to my burgers. I use garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, fresh ground black pepper, smoked Spanish paprika, powdered chipotle pepper, and worcestershire sauce.

I just found this recipe today for making basic meatballs. It is simular to your burger recipe. They should taste pretty good. What do you think?

1 pound of ground chuck
1/4 tsp.onion salt
1/4 tsp.garlic salt
1/4 tsp. celery salt
Pinch of pepper

Combine and roll into bite size meatballs.

i like to add some worchester, soy, garlic, pepper, onion, egg, a package of ramen crushed up, but not the flavor pack. i call it my Magget Burger. Spark up the barbie.

Sounds nice. The name puts me off though :-p

IMO, less is more. All I want is good ground chuck, salt and pepper. I like it cooked just until the pink is gone, so it's still juicy. I prefer it grilled, but I make some awfully good ones in the electric skillet, also.

OK - don't kick me out of this thread for asking this horrible question, but has anyone had experience with all these great additions to ground beef, but using them with a meat substitute of some sort? You can buy a powdered mix at the store that makes a decent veggie burger, and I am wondering now if I could try some of your great ideas I read here, but in veggie burger mix.

I use 80% ish beef for my burgers. Wooster sauce, salt and pepper on the patties. Some toppings would be sauteed onion, Sandwich Topper pickle slices, Woebers Horseradish sauce, sliced bell pepper.

A real good combo is cheddar, sliced tomato, Woebers and ketchup.

OK - don't kick me out of this thread for asking this horrible question, but has anyone had experience with all these great additions to ground beef, but using them with a meat substitute of some sort? You can buy a powdered mix at the store that makes a decent veggie burger, and I am wondering now if I could try some of your great ideas I read here, but in veggie burger mix.
I do not know for sure, but I would think there would be no reason you could not apply these same things to veggie burgers.

You know I have had many of the "Better Burgers" Sorry, they aren't. Not by a long shot. I have them with lamb, with goat, with buffalo, with chicken, turkey, bread crumbs, onion soup mix, eggs, all kinds of sauces.. NONE are as good as an all beef burger.

Better burger.
80% ground Sirloin, 20% ground beef(with fat in it). That's it!

Make a patty, at least 1/3lb. Get a grill HOT!!! salt and pepper the burger, maybe a little Worcestershire. Pop that baby on the grill and let it set.. When it is dark brown on the bottom, turn it over. Let it cook until its dark brown on the other side. If the burger isn't pink in the middle at this point, you started with too thin of a burger. It should have a crisp outside and juicy inside.

Place on a bun with a slice of onion, slice of tomato, lettuce, mustard, dill pickle if desired.. a little salt if desired..

That is a burger!

my burger

I like burgers made from ground chuck and steak seasoning. They taste great and stay moist. I don't add extra stuff to the meat, but I put onion, lettuce, tomato and steak sauce on the burger before eating.

now that sounds like my kind of a burger. i put steak seasoning on top of meat, pan sear(med) i love cheddar or pepper jack cheese melted on the meat. toast bun in skillet, mayo onion tomato and lettuce. NO catsup , no mustard, just mayo. yum yum i had one for dinner tonight on large onion bun.

babe:pig::pig:

Last edited:
Hmmm. These all sound good, but personally, I am all for the simple salt and pepper route. I think stuffing all of these spices, sauces, veggies, ramen noddles etc into a beef patty is somehow criminal - unless of course you are buying cheap ground beef. Toppings are one thing, but why mask the taste of nicely grilled meat?

i made a good one last night.

i took two pre-formed 4 oz. boiguh patties (85% ground chuck), placed one down on a plate, put a bunch of small chunka of extra sharp cheddar on it, and some finely chopped red onion, then capped it with anoher 4 oz. patty, sealing the edges well all the way around. then, it was rubbed with black pepper and worcestershire sauce.

i grilled it about 5 minutes per side, so it was just medium in the middle, and the cheese was gooey.

topped with ketchup on a coupla slices of multigrain bread, it was delicioso! :chef:

After reading about the quality of ground beef sold in grocery stores, I've been grinding my own. Usually half chuck and half sirloin. I ask the butcher for a few pieces of beef fat in case I need to add any. There is so much more beef flavor, similar to a good restaurant burger. Just salt, pepper, and worchestershire sauce. If I'm feeling really decadent, I'll put a frozen pat of butter in the middle of the patties before grilling. It makes them really juicy.

I like ground sirloin as well, but like to add in an egg, some bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, pick-a-pepper sauce, and some garlic for my basic burger.
Thai chili sauce, garlic sauce, and soy sauce or teriyaki sauce for a more Asian one. Basically I just like to play around a lot!

In my experience, adding bread crumbs changes the texture and flavor beyond what I like, unless I'm specifically inthe mood to make Salisbury Steak, which happens often enough. But when I'm in the mood for a burger, this is what I want;
2/3 to 3/4 lb of 85% ground chuck or round (exercised muscles have more intense flavor) combined with one small egg. Shape with hands until the patti is beautifull round and just a bit over 1/8" thick, with the center slightly thinner. Lightly salt the top and put the salted side down over a solid bed of charcoal. Cover the grill with all vents open. Cook for 3 minutes, lightly salt and flip. Cover grill and cook for 4 minutes. Remove and top with sliced onion, good tomato, and either ketchup or A1 depending on my mood. Sweet pickle relish is good on it too.

I've made several stuffed burgers and they came out good. But I guess I'm a burger purist. I would never skoff at another person's favorite burger recipe. We all have different tastes. I don't want mine dark brown or crispy on the outside. I want only the slightes hint of pink inside, and I want it so juicy that it's a mess when you eat it. That's what the egg does when mixed with the ground meat. It prevents shrinkage, holds in the juices, and doesn't affect the flavor.

Oh, and I like coarse grind black pepper on my burgers, sometimes. And if I have fresh mushrooms in the house, you can bet they will be saute'd in butter and put on the burger. If I have a good portabella cap available, I will drizzle EVOO all over the shroom and grill it alongside the burger.

I will also use the same burger making techniques to pan-fry a burger, but then want just a touch of browning on the meat. Oh, and to me, the burger is best if served on whole wheat, or whole grain buns that have lots of texture. And I have to admit it, I like the iceburgh lettuce on my burger rather than the healthier lettuce varieties. And if there is going to be cheese on it, it needs to be either Velveeta, Havarti, Swiss, or Muenster. If I choose to throw on mustard, it has to be a spicy-brown variety. Once in a while, I'll even throw some smokey bacon on top.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

lamb burger

I made a lamb burger the other night that just melted in my mouth! I mixed ground lamb, diced onions, tandoori seasoning blend ,a dash of ground cumin,, salt/pepper and mixed in some left over jasmine rice. I let in sit in the fridge a couple hours then cooked it in the skillet. when just about done cooking I added a splash of lemon juice. Served with greek plain yogurt wit ground cumin and lemon juice mixed in and all topped with fresh sweet basil from my yard :-pEven my picky 1 yr old ate it up!

Rofl

You know what would really be the best burger ever? Instead of using ground beef, just sticking a porterhouse steak between a bun. Wrapped in bacon. And the bun toasted in butter and then mayonaised. And tons of ranch dressing and seven slices of different kinds of cheeses on this burger. And all of that... deep fried in lard.

Thats possibly the best way to commit suicide there is. I wonder why people always choose more painful methods.

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are !!

Seriously, I gave up on beef burgers at home a number of years ago - grew tired of buying both beef & turkey & economics of all that. I didn't give up on beef burgers, but I would like to see unique recipes for turkey burgers (prefer that someone uses regularly). :cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom