"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats
Old 05-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #31
Head Chef
You know I have had many of the "Better Burgers" Sorry, they aren't. Not by a long shot. I have them with lamb, with goat, with buffalo, with chicken, turkey, bread crumbs, onion soup mix, eggs, all kinds of sauces.. NONE are as good as an all beef burger.

Better burger.
80% ground Sirloin, 20% ground beef(with fat in it). That's it!

Make a patty, at least 1/3lb. Get a grill HOT!!! salt and pepper the burger, maybe a little Worcestershire. Pop that baby on the grill and let it set.. When it is dark brown on the bottom, turn it over. Let it cook until its dark brown on the other side. If the burger isn't pink in the middle at this point, you started with too thin of a burger. It should have a crisp outside and juicy inside.

Place on a bun with a slice of onion, slice of tomato, lettuce, mustard, dill pickle if desired.. a little salt if desired..

That is a burger!

Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire
my burger

Originally Posted by licia View Post
I like burgers made from ground chuck and steak seasoning. They taste great and stay moist. I don't add extra stuff to the meat, but I put onion, lettuce, tomato and steak sauce on the burger before eating.
now that sounds like my kind of a burger. i put steak seasoning on top of meat, pan sear(med) i love cheddar or pepper jack cheese melted on the meat. toast bun in skillet, mayo onion tomato and lettuce. NO catsup , no mustard, just mayo. yum yum i had one for dinner tonight on large onion bun.

"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:23 AM   #33
Senior Cook
Hmmm. These all sound good, but personally, I am all for the simple salt and pepper route. I think stuffing all of these spices, sauces, veggies, ramen noddles etc into a beef patty is somehow criminal - unless of course you are buying cheap ground beef. Toppings are one thing, but why mask the taste of nicely grilled meat?
flukx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:57 AM   #34
Chief Eating Officer
Originally Posted by flukx View Post
Toppings are one thing, but why mask the taste of nicely grilled meat?
What one sees as masking another will see as enhancing.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
i made a good one last night.

i took two pre-formed 4 oz. boiguh patties (85% ground chuck), placed one down on a plate, put a bunch of small chunka of extra sharp cheddar on it, and some finely chopped red onion, then capped it with anoher 4 oz. patty, sealing the edges well all the way around. then, it was rubbed with black pepper and worcestershire sauce.

i grilled it about 5 minutes per side, so it was just medium in the middle, and the cheese was gooey.

topped with ketchup on a coupla slices of multigrain bread, it was delicioso!
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:20 PM   #36
Senior Cook
After reading about the quality of ground beef sold in grocery stores, I've been grinding my own. Usually half chuck and half sirloin. I ask the butcher for a few pieces of beef fat in case I need to add any. There is so much more beef flavor, similar to a good restaurant burger. Just salt, pepper, and worchestershire sauce. If I'm feeling really decadent, I'll put a frozen pat of butter in the middle of the patties before grilling. It makes them really juicy.
Sedagive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #37
Master Chef
I like ground sirloin as well, but like to add in an egg, some bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, pick-a-pepper sauce, and some garlic for my basic burger.
Thai chili sauce, garlic sauce, and soy sauce or teriyaki sauce for a more Asian one. Basically I just like to play around a lot!
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #38
Master Chef
In my experience, adding bread crumbs changes the texture and flavor beyond what I like, unless I'm specifically inthe mood to make Salisbury Steak, which happens often enough. But when I'm in the mood for a burger, this is what I want;
2/3 to 3/4 lb of 85% ground chuck or round (exercised muscles have more intense flavor) combined with one small egg. Shape with hands until the patti is beautifull round and just a bit over 1/8" thick, with the center slightly thinner. Lightly salt the top and put the salted side down over a solid bed of charcoal. Cover the grill with all vents open. Cook for 3 minutes, lightly salt and flip. Cover grill and cook for 4 minutes. Remove and top with sliced onion, good tomato, and either ketchup or A1 depending on my mood. Sweet pickle relish is good on it too.

I've made several stuffed burgers and they came out good. But I guess I'm a burger purist. I would never skoff at another person's favorite burger recipe. We all have different tastes. I don't want mine dark brown or crispy on the outside. I want only the slightes hint of pink inside, and I want it so juicy that it's a mess when you eat it. That's what the egg does when mixed with the ground meat. It prevents shrinkage, holds in the juices, and doesn't affect the flavor.

Oh, and I like coarse grind black pepper on my burgers, sometimes. And if I have fresh mushrooms in the house, you can bet they will be saute'd in butter and put on the burger. If I have a good portabella cap available, I will drizzle EVOO all over the shroom and grill it alongside the burger.

I will also use the same burger making techniques to pan-fry a burger, but then want just a touch of browning on the meat. Oh, and to me, the burger is best if served on whole wheat, or whole grain buns that have lots of texture. And I have to admit it, I like the iceburgh lettuce on my burger rather than the healthier lettuce varieties. And if there is going to be cheese on it, it needs to be either Velveeta, Havarti, Swiss, or Muenster. If I choose to throw on mustard, it has to be a spicy-brown variety. Once in a while, I'll even throw some smokey bacon on top.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #39
Executive Chef
Thumbs up lamb burger

I made a lamb burger the other night that just melted in my mouth! I mixed ground lamb, diced onions, tandoori seasoning blend ,a dash of ground cumin,, salt/pepper and mixed in some left over jasmine rice. I let in sit in the fridge a couple hours then cooked it in the skillet. when just about done cooking I added a splash of lemon juice. Served with greek plain yogurt wit ground cumin and lemon juice mixed in and all topped with fresh sweet basil from my yard Even my picky 1 yr old ate it up!
deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #40
Senior Cook
Wink Rofl

Originally Posted by Banana Brain View Post
You know what would really be the best burger ever? Instead of using ground beef, just sticking a porterhouse steak between a bun. Wrapped in bacon. And the bun toasted in butter and then mayonaised. And tons of ranch dressing and seven slices of different kinds of cheeses on this burger. And all of that... deep fried in lard.

Thats possibly the best way to commit suicide there is. I wonder why people always choose more painful methods.
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are !!

Seriously, I gave up on beef burgers at home a number of years ago - grew tired of buying both beef & turkey & economics of all that. I didn't give up on beef burgers, but I would like to see unique recipes for turkey burgers (prefer that someone uses regularly).

pugger is offline   Reply With Quote