"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats
Old 09-13-2006, 04:46 PM   #11
Senior Cook
It happens with pork butt also at aprox the same internal temps as brisket.
If you were to instert a temp probe that could follow the internal temps and transfer the data to a paper graph you can actually see the stall happening.

jminion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:45 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
Prof. Minion is correct (anyone surprised?). Here's a poor example of a stall or plateau. My first pic here, so bear with me. Click on plot to see bigger picture.

Note the break in temp rise. I have seen even more noticeable plateaus where the temp seemed to stay at 160 for a looooong time.

Ancho Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:58 AM   #13
Assistant Cook
Another thing to remember is some people use mesquite wood to smoke beef products. This is fine, but limit your smoke intake. A little goes along way. Too much mesquite smoke can turn your brisket bitter.
Hutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:58 AM   #14
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Sigma Man
I read in one place that the meat temperature goal for smoking a brisket is 165 degrees F and in another place that the goal is 200 - 210 degrees F. That is quite a large difference. I am going to be smoking the brisket in a gas smoker which has a chip box and a water pan. What temperature do you shoot for when smoking a brisket?

I've got a brisket I've done competitions with...I always pull it off at 185 and let the carryover take it the rest of the way.

Poppinfresh is offline   Reply With Quote