"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 04-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
My same question from another thread,do you remove the membrane?

Craig
Yes. I am doing some up today. Maybe I can create some photos that can illustrate what I can come up with.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Rock, your not cooking/smoke'n them long enough. Are you doing BB's or spares? Plan on 6hrs for spares at 225-250. I don't do BB's enough but know it has taken a good 4-5hrs for them.

A VERY, and I stress VERY, general guide is 3-2-1 for spares and 2-1.5-1(or 2-2-1) for BB's. 3 on rack, 2 in foil, 1 back on rack and add sauce last 30 min so as not to burn the sugars.

I'm not a fan of BB's or foil'n ribs. I'll foil for maybe 30-45MAX. I've done the 3-2-1 and had ribs that were just way too soft/tender. Not a good mouth feel.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Are you adding liquid when you foil them, Rock? I have given up this step when I grill ribs because they are probably just what you are after, fall off the bone ribs. You can hardly pick them up off the grill and usually I need to slide a cutting board under them as I lift. It's the middle step to 3-2-1, although those numbers are for whole racks, not baby backs or St Louis cut. Foil them up and add some apple juice, ice tea, pineapple juice... whatever, and let them steam a while, about 30 minutes for baby backs. Then carefully unfoil, set back on the grate and start brushing with sauce (or not).
Old 04-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
"Falling off the bone" is a misnomer. Ribs are done when the meat has pulled back from the ends of the rib bones and is tender. At 225F-250F measured at the cooking surface, they should take around 3 hours for baby backs.
+1

I took a rib cooking class from a local award winning BBQ chef here and he said the same thing as Andy. He told us if your ribs are falling off the bone you are doing something wrong.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Interestingly, when you watch BBQ championships (or when I go to a BBQ championship) competitions, they NEVER do anything other than rub and toss into the smoker. No pre-cooking, no foil, and often no saucing. Membrane removal is not consistent. Someone always wins a trophy!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #16
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Try 185 for 5 hours and then raise the temp to 275 for about an hour or until internal temp is 190.

The long slow smoke will help make them more tender as connective tissues break down. The last higher temp hour is where you can choose between fall off the bone (190) and tender with a little resistance (180 - 185).

Check out this thread BabyBacks

Old 04-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Today I am using back ribs. Not BB's. These are a larger rack. That 3-2-1 technique is a method that I will try today. And I will add some more liquid during foiling. Thanks, folks. I'll post my results tonight, if I don't drink too many cold cans in the process. I love weekends off!

Here they are rubbed up with Kansas City rub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	10529  
Old 04-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Interestingly, when you watch BBQ championships (or when I go to a BBQ championship) competitions, they NEVER do anything other than rub and toss into the smoker. No pre-cooking, no foil, and often no saucing. Membrane removal is not consistent. Someone always wins a trophy!
I can get mine that way now without foiling, but foiling them is practically a guarantee. And adds a little something extra depending on the liquid used. Of course, you need to cook them long enough though. My neighbor doesn't cook ribs because he says he doesn't have the patience to do it on the grill.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
+1

He told us if your ribs are falling off the bone you are doing something wrong.
What if that is what you are going after? Is what I like wrong?

Thanks everybody. Lots to chew on.....
Old 04-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
What if that is what you are going after? Is what I like wrong?

Thanks everybody. Lots to chew on.....
When you are here, yes.

Tags
smoker