Can't get "fall off the bone" ribs in my smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rock, I suggest getting a pellet smoker. They are just so easy, with a digital therm. They are like an oven, with smoke. Down side is cost, they can be a bit pricey for sure.

I heat up the smoker, set the temp I want, fill the hopper full of pellets, throw the meat on and I can be gone for 2-3hrs, have even gone 4hrs.
Yes. I have checked them out and they are very nice. Not a common item around these parts. Neither are the pellets.

Mankind has been cooking meat over the dry heat of wood fires (coals) for about a million years or so with great success...Generally growing taller, getting stronger and smarter as a result. ~~ For hundreds, if not thousands of years the mysteries of the ancient art were passed down from mouth to ear...from father to son, from mother to daughter. ~~ It’s not been but in the last 40-50 or so years that he began to screw things up...He (Mankind) got lazy, He got sucked onto the “fast food” mentality. He wanted BBQ and he wanted it NOW. He did not want to spend the requisite time to learn the art, much less invest in the requisite time to master it...So he began to look for, and take short cuts. With the help of likeminded uninformed individuals of the “fast food” culture he began his journey into the dark abyss of misunderstanding, misinformation, and misfortune. Corporate America was more than willing to aided him in his quest ~~ The knowledge which had been passed down through the generations began to fade in man’s consciences ~~~ Today a whole generation is all but lost, and another is well on it’s way ~~ At no other time in history has a roll of aluminum foil, a pound of brown sugar, a quart of apple juice, a jar of mustard, two old towels, and a 48 qt, Igloo cooler been required to cook a pork butt ~~ Horace Greeley said “Go west young man, Go west. ~~~ I say, “Look behind you young man...Look behind you” ~~ There you will find enlightenment!
Using retained heat two days after firing the wood oven for pizza I often slow cook ribs or roasts in it. Bone dry heat, they come out great. And since I have no control over the oven temperature, time is my only variable. Ribs generally take anywhere from 3 to 6 hours using this ancient method. :D
img_989009_0_a9deb1b849d25a43c4e12c0f953aab2b.jpg

Using retained heat two days after firing the wood oven for pizza I often slow cook ribs or roasts in it. Bone dry heat, they come out great. And since I have no control over the oven temperature, time is my only variable. Ribs generally take anywhere from 3 to 6 hours using this ancient method. :D

Now yer just showing off... :mrgreen:

Looks good.

I have had problems in the past when cooking with gas...I find that it is a drier kind of heat than even wood. I don't have anything more than anecdotal experience to support this - but it has always been a bit more of a challenge for me. The pellet cookers *do* produce a finished product that retains more moisture for sure.
Perhaps in the interim - a pan of beer and seasonings in with your ribs for moisture/aromatics...

I missed this...those look awesome!

Will you come build me a pizza oven????:rolleyes:

Actually, gas fuel produces a moister environment due to the way it burns. I'm not sure if that could be noticed in a grill or smoker, but it is why home bakers prefer electric in their ovens. Or so I'm told. I don't do enough baking to know if I'm even doing it right, lol.

I know less than nothing about baking - but theis site will help remedy that I hope!

Back
Top Bottom