Can't get "fall off the bone" ribs in my smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
I have a couple of smokers. I've had a Rocky Mountain propane smoker for a few years now. One thing I can't seem to get it my ribs to fall off the bone tender. So, my prefered rib method is usually pre cooking in oven and finishing off over coals. But, I am determined to get this right. Don't get me wrong, the ribs from the smoker are good tastewise, but the meat is a bit dryer than you have to work a bit to get it off the bone. I wonder if my thermostat is wrong and maybe I am smoking at a higher heat than what is actually indicated(wich is 225). But, they don't darken prematurely or anything. I want to go at it again and try to perfect this. I have followed many instructions and tried different things, but can never get the darned things tender and juicy enough, for my liking. I am a little disappointed because ribs are the main reason I bought it.

Last edited:
Do you use a mop and foil them after they have taken enough smoke? Most comp folks don't want "fall off the bone" ribs. They are looking more for tender but with a little resistence. If "fall off" is what you're after, that's cool too.;)

Craig

Have you tried par-boiling them first? Using a Dutch Oven I cook them in a liquid (Chicken broth, spices and water) until the meat is cooked but still firm. They stay moist and tender, (falling off of the bone) at the end of the grilling/baking process at 250F.

Last edited:
I have used mops. I have also foiled them, but maybe not for a long enough period. I am looking to be able to pull a bone off clean. Maybe I can't achieve that with this method.
Another problem I have is that my wife and daughter prefer my bbq method ribs, and I am stubborn to get this smoker thing right. They just seem to be a bit tougher than I would like.

Have you tried par-boiling them first? Using a Dutch Oven I cook them in a liquid (Chicken broth, spices and water) until the meat is cooked but still firm. They stay moist and tender, (falling off of the bone) at the end of the grilling/baking process at 250F.
If and when I precook, whick is what I mainly do with my bbq method, I usually do it in the oven, covered tightly, with a mix of spices and an inch of tomato juice and beer, or other liquids, at 250 for two or more hours.
I am attempting to do these ribs from start to finish in the smoker and get them more tender than I have achieved so far. Thanks!

When you get it perfected... I have this large bib... and I'll even bring the Cole Slaw! :LOL:

"Falling off the bone" is a misnomer. Ribs are done when the meat has pulled back from the ends of the rib bones and is tender. At 225ºF-250ºF measured at the cooking surface, they should take around 3 hours for baby backs.

"Falling off the bone" is a misnomer. Ribs are done when the meat has pulled back from the ends of the rib bones and is tender. At 225ºF-250ºF measured at the cooking surface, they should take around 3 hours for baby backs.

Well, when I braise first, the bones come off clean. Any smoker ribs I have done have never been so tender. You always have to chew meat still stuck to the bones. Like I said, maybe I can't achieve this with a smoker afterall. I have seen a couple of cooking shows where the ribs seem to come apart way easier than the ones I have produced. Just wondering what I am doing wrong.

My same question from another thread,do you remove the membrane?

Craig

Rock, your not cooking/smoke'n them long enough. Are you doing BB's or spares? Plan on 6hrs for spares at 225-250. I don't do BB's enough but know it has taken a good 4-5hrs for them.

A VERY, and I stress VERY, general guide is 3-2-1 for spares and 2-1.5-1(or 2-2-1) for BB's. 3 on rack, 2 in foil, 1 back on rack and add sauce last 30 min so as not to burn the sugars.

I'm not a fan of BB's or foil'n ribs. I'll foil for maybe 30-45MAX. I've done the 3-2-1 and had ribs that were just way too soft/tender. Not a good mouth feel.

Are you adding liquid when you foil them, Rock? I have given up this step when I grill ribs because they are probably just what you are after, fall off the bone ribs. You can hardly pick them up off the grill and usually I need to slide a cutting board under them as I lift. It's the middle step to 3-2-1, although those numbers are for whole racks, not baby backs or St Louis cut. Foil them up and add some apple juice, ice tea, pineapple juice... whatever, and let them steam a while, about 30 minutes for baby backs. Then carefully unfoil, set back on the grate and start brushing with sauce (or not).

+1

I took a rib cooking class from a local award winning BBQ chef here and he said the same thing as Andy. He told us if your ribs are falling off the bone you are doing something wrong.

Interestingly, when you watch BBQ championships (or when I go to a BBQ championship) competitions, they NEVER do anything other than rub and toss into the smoker. No pre-cooking, no foil, and often no saucing. Membrane removal is not consistent. Someone always wins a trophy!:angel:

Try 185 for 5 hours and then raise the temp to 275 for about an hour or until internal temp is 190.

The long slow smoke will help make them more tender as connective tissues break down. The last higher temp hour is where you can choose between fall off the bone (190) and tender with a little resistance (180 - 185).

Check out this thread http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f36/babybacks-65939.html

Today I am using back ribs. Not BB's. These are a larger rack. That 3-2-1 technique is a method that I will try today. And I will add some more liquid during foiling. Thanks, folks. I'll post my results tonight, if I don't drink too many cold cans in the process. I love weekends off!:wacko::LOL:

Here they are rubbed up with Kansas City rub.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Interestingly, when you watch BBQ championships (or when I go to a BBQ championship) competitions, they NEVER do anything other than rub and toss into the smoker. No pre-cooking, no foil, and often no saucing. Membrane removal is not consistent. Someone always wins a trophy!:angel:

I can get mine that way now without foiling, but foiling them is practically a guarantee. And adds a little something extra depending on the liquid used. Of course, you need to cook them long enough though. My neighbor doesn't cook ribs because he says he doesn't have the patience to do it on the grill.

Back
Top Bottom