"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 04-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Can't get "fall off the bone" ribs in my smoker

I have a couple of smokers. I've had a Rocky Mountain propane smoker for a few years now. One thing I can't seem to get it my ribs to fall off the bone tender. So, my prefered rib method is usually pre cooking in oven and finishing off over coals. But, I am determined to get this right. Don't get me wrong, the ribs from the smoker are good tastewise, but the meat is a bit dryer than you have to work a bit to get it off the bone. I wonder if my thermostat is wrong and maybe I am smoking at a higher heat than what is actually indicated(wich is 225). But, they don't darken prematurely or anything. I want to go at it again and try to perfect this. I have followed many instructions and tried different things, but can never get the darned things tender and juicy enough, for my liking. I am a little disappointed because ribs are the main reason I bought it.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Do you use a mop and foil them after they have taken enough smoke? Most comp folks don't want "fall off the bone" ribs. They are looking more for tender but with a little resistence. If "fall off" is what you're after, that's cool too.

Craig

Old 04-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Have you tried par-boiling them first? Using a Dutch Oven I cook them in a liquid (Chicken broth, spices and water) until the meat is cooked but still firm. They stay moist and tender, (falling off of the bone) at the end of the grilling/baking process at 250F.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I have used mops. I have also foiled them, but maybe not for a long enough period. I am looking to be able to pull a bone off clean. Maybe I can't achieve that with this method.
Another problem I have is that my wife and daughter prefer my bbq method ribs, and I am stubborn to get this smoker thing right. They just seem to be a bit tougher than I would like.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Have you tried par-boiling them first? Using a Dutch Oven I cook them in a liquid (Chicken broth, spices and water) until the meat is cooked but still firm. They stay moist and tender, (falling off of the bone) at the end of the grilling/baking process at 250F.
If and when I precook, whick is what I mainly do with my bbq method, I usually do it in the oven, covered tightly, with a mix of spices and an inch of tomato juice and beer, or other liquids, at 250 for two or more hours.
I am attempting to do these ribs from start to finish in the smoker and get them more tender than I have achieved so far. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Executive Chef

When you get it perfected... I have this large bib... and I'll even bring the Cole Slaw!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

"Falling off the bone" is a misnomer. Ribs are done when the meat has pulled back from the ends of the rib bones and is tender. At 225F-250F measured at the cooking surface, they should take around 3 hours for baby backs.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
"Falling off the bone" is a misnomer. Ribs are done when the meat has pulled back from the ends of the rib bones and is tender. At 225F-250F measured at the cooking surface, they should take around 3 hours for baby backs.
Well, when I braise first, the bones come off clean. Any smoker ribs I have done have never been so tender. You always have to chew meat still stuck to the bones. Like I said, maybe I can't achieve this with a smoker afterall. I have seen a couple of cooking shows where the ribs seem to come apart way easier than the ones I have produced. Just wondering what I am doing wrong.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
When you get it perfected... I have this large bib... and I'll even bring the Cole Slaw!
If you can make it here by 6, I'll throw an extra rack in.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
Executive Chef

My same question from another thread,do you remove the membrane?

Craig

Tags
smoker