"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats
Old 01-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #31
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Doesn't the probe thermometer work by measuring the current through a thermistor in the end of the probe? That was my understanding. If there was a short between the wires, where the wire was pinched, you would get max current flow, renduring the temperature gauge useless. But it would not be measuring the thermistor regulated current at all. In either case though, the temperature from a shorted cable would not be accurate at all.

The other possible scenario of a pinched cable would be wire broken inside the insulation, resulting in an open, with no current flow at all, again rendering the temperature gauge useless.

With my Webber Kettle, I have ruined a couple of digital probe thermometers by pinching the cable with the lid. Glad that doesn't happen on your gear, Paymaster.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Depends on the sensor. Thermocouple or RTD.
With a thermocouple, the connection of the two (wires) dissimilar metals creates a voltage read in millivolts. This would be the sensor that would continue to work, but measure the temp at the connection no matter where it resides.

The RTD uses a resistance change to signal the readout. A "cold joint" (shorted leads) with an RTD would signal failure if the readout/controller was smart enough to know the leads were shorted and fault. Or just plain be way off as far as displayed temp. We would need to know more about his specific probe and readout/controller to be certain.
I doubt they are using RTD's in this application. But I am not certain.

That's the best i can do Chief. I hope it makes some sense.

Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote