"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats
Old 11-18-2006, 10:17 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Gretchen, I have never used a "mop" in my life but I thought it might be a good way to add some flavor in place of smoking. I can't wait to try this. I always smoke mine totally in the smoker but never add more Hickory wood chunks - only add more wood briquettes - once those wood chunks are gone that's fine by me. I just keep on "smoking" until done - usually takes about 10 hours.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:41 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Gretchen
You don't have to have a smoker to get the crust--definitely try it!!! I get it in the oven.
It is absolutely delicious--as I say in my directions, you will have to slap your hands to keep from eating it all right then as it comes out of the oven. I also don't mop even when I smoke--or maybe especially if I smoke it. Too much heat is lost opening the smoker.
We don't really like a whole big lot of smoke anyway--it's all about the pork. I often smoke it for 4 hours @250* and then finish in the oven for 4-5 @250* (to compensate for the time out of heat). But in the early years of making this, there weren't really any home smokers (60's) and it was all in the oven at home or at the BBQ joint. So that is where I started with it--oven.
If you haven't looked at my Carolina pulled pork recipe, I do recommend it. There is a "moistening" sauce that I put on after pulling--so little that you should not even know it is there. And a western NC style sauce that is much liked around here.
Could you post a link to your recipe? Thanks

Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef
Gretchen's method is right on. I do a similar process and end up with a pulled pork that tastes great!
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:19 AM   #14
Assistant Cook
thanks for so many replies everyone!! I'm going to give it a try today. wish me luck
pipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
well, it was pretty darn good. Everything turned out ok. I do have a few new questions though. I used regular KC Masterpiece sauce, would the Honey KC Masterpiece give it a more "sweet" flavor or is there anything else you guys recommend for that sweet flavor. Also I seen some talk about rub, what is it? Another thing, I have a ton of left overs, it is all plain with no sauce, so i want to freeze it. I was thinking of putting some servings into zip-loc baggies. When i'm ready to re-heat the servings, what is the best way? What kind of temps and time. I don't want to dry it out.

Thanks again.
pipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:04 PM   #16
Senior Cook
I know you've already cooked yours but here's another good way. I've been making this for years and I'm often requested by friends to make it. In fact I made two slow cookers full for a birthday celebration a couple weeks ago.

Almost NC Pork BBQ. My adaptation from a recipe from the NC Pork council. It's really easy and makes some good BBQ. You start by putting a boston butt in your slow cooker. Splash in a little cider vinegar and about a tablespoon or two of molasses. Cook for 10 to 12 hours in the slow cooker. Then take the butt out and remove the meat from the skin and bones. Shred the meat by using two forks and put it back in the slow cooker after you've drained any juices and wiped out the pot. In a fry pan saute an onion, chopped fine in a tiny bit of oil. Add that to the meat in the slow cooker along with a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce, a few shakes of hot sauce such as Tabasco or Texas Pete (We like it spicy so I sometimes use a few shakes of a Habenero sauce, about a 1/4 cup of catsup and a teaspoon or two of liquid smoke if desired. Salt and pepper to taste. Turn the cooker to low and stir occasionally until warmed thru and the flavors mingle. It's great on a bun with some slaw, southern style. I like to add dill pickles and tomatoes and even sliced sweet onions sometimes to mine along with the slaw.

southerncooker is offline   Reply With Quote