"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 11-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Deer Hunt Eats

I hauled the Akorn Cooker out into the field on our annual trip to Piedmont NWR last week. I always do the cooking in our camp, But this was a step up from the Coleman stove! One in our group shot a deer so we feel successful. I did Deer Kababs and Brats one night and a deer ham, a butt and a fattie the next. There were hundreds of hunters in the campground. I put up a little banner so some web forum friend that were there could find our camp.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
Head Chef

Looks like fun & food. Except for the "100's" of hunters!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Looks like fun & food. Except for the "100's" of hunters!
30,000 acres of forest and 1200 hunter quota. There were probably 500 or so folks in the camp ground which is several hundred acres in size. Was not bad at all.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
Head Chef

I wonder how many camps are set up in the 47 sq miles? Must be good numbers of deer in that section. Well have fun and keep the hunters happy with your good food. Are you hunting too, or the camp cook?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Last night I watch "North Woods Law." They stated that just one deer doe can feed 100 people. Imagine what a buck could feed.

If two members of one household were hunters, they could feed the family for a whole year with just a couple of hunting trips a year, each. For the cost of a couple of boxes of bullets and the gas, not a bad deal.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Last night I watch "North Woods Law." They stated that just one deer doe can feed 100 people. Imagine what a buck could feed.

If two members of one household were hunters, they could feed the family for a whole year with just a couple of hunting trips a year, each. For the cost of a couple of boxes of bullets and the gas, not a bad deal.
Good one.
I know of no hunter that just spends money each year on ammo and gas. And that's not even counting the licenses, stamps, permits, latest camo pattern, buck scent, rattling antlers, blind, deer stand, four-wheeler,
Sure, after you've hunted a while you pretty much have everything, but then you need to upgrade.
My neighbor processes his own deer and I'll bet he's got $1000 just in stainless tables, meat grinder, slicer, hoist, spices, casing, freezer paper...
IMO getting a deer is the bonus. You'd be spending money on hunting whether you got one every year or not.
Ask me how I know
Old 11-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
Head Chef

Male bonding at it's finest. =) Looks like it was a fantastic time with some great eats!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
I wonder how many camps are set up in the 47 sq miles? Must be good numbers of deer in that section. Well have fun and keep the hunters happy with your good food. Are you hunting too, or the camp cook?
I hunt as well as cook. Neat thing about the Akorn is it is portable and can be set up at a certain temp and left to do it's thing. I set the temp for the deer ham and butt cook at 250* and went to sleep with a remote therm probe in the deer ham. The remote alarm was set to go off when internal temp hit 160*. It alarmed, I got up and took the deer meet off and put the probe into the boston butt and set the alarm at 205* and went back to bed in the camper. I got up at 4:30 to do breakfast and the internal on the butt was at 203*. By the time it was time to hit the woods, the butt was done and I removed it.I like that Akorn cooker!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Addie, that math works when the locals are poaching deer for food.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Addie, that math works when the locals are poaching deer for food.
Poaching is not Hunting!!!