"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 08-26-2007, 12:21 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Scott, it sounds like you did a god job! 180 is ok! Most briskets are not "pulled" anyway. Sliced and/or chopped for sandwiches is the ticket. Glad you chose the "less is best" for smoke. During long cook times it is easy to over do it. Bottom line.... it was a fun adventure, and you and your family enjoyed it. That equals a succesful BBQ!!

Congratulations!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicklyscott View Post
The problem I had was the brisket struggled to go over 170. Once it hit 180, it dropped right back down to 176. So I couldn't get it up to the 200 degree pulled brisket mark
That's the same problem I had with a pork shoulder using briquettes. I just couldn't get the internal temp over 185deg. over 10 hours. I had to finish it in the oven.

More info on that here.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
That's the same problem I had with a pork shoulder using briquettes. I just couldn't get the internal temp over 185deg. after 10 hours. I had to finish it in the oven.

When doing a butt, there is a temperature point around 170 F where you get "stick" for a while and the temp won't go up. If you perservere, the temp will start to go up again after a while.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Scott...Jeekinz....

Could be what you are encountering is what is referred to in some circles as a "stall" The enternal temp will stall. During this time, which can be quite some time the meat is getting tender. Things are breaking down. When the meat comes out of the "stall" it will move quickly up. Be careful at this point not to over cook to a mushy state! Next time stay the course!! Forge ahead! Be patient!! The temp will come!!

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I've heard it called 'plateu'd' also. It's just a tad frustrating at that point. After a couple visits to the Shrink, I can laugh about it now.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Congrats Scott! It sounds like it turned out great! As Andy and UB mentioned, the heat will stick at a point. It’s then that the tissue is breaking down and becoming really tender. If you wait a while, this process will finish and the temp will start to climb again. But as UB said, be careful and watch it so that you don’t over cook it.

Not long ago, I stopped watching some ribs and left them on too long. The meat was a bit mushy and fell off the bone. Literally. You could shake the bone and the meat would just fall off onto your plate. I like my ribs with a little more texture than that, so those were overcooked IMHO. Made some good pulled pork sandwiches though!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:49 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Sounds like a great brisket, Scott.
I like to monitor the air temp inside my cooker with a digital temp gauge. I lay the probe on the grill near the meat. I have an idea how long it will take to cook a brisket or butt or whatever by watching the cooking temp.
I like to cook whole briskets, fat side up. I will plan a minimum of 11 hours to cook, but I'd prefer it to be 12-13 hours at 225.
I have found that the best teacher is trial and error. Hopefully very few errors. We all have our own taste preference and you have to find what you like best. Someone on here suggested keeping a log of what you cook and how you cooked it and the results. That is the best teacher.
Good luck with your next brisket, Scott.
Bob