"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 08-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up Doin' up a brisket, need some help

I'll be smoking a brisket tomorrow for our BBQ and would like it to be of the pulled variety. What temperature do I need to smoke it up to and how long should I expect a 6.5 lbs brisket to get there?

Old 08-24-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Shoot for an internal temperature a little over 200 F. Cook it slowly as you would any brisket.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

any idea on cooking times? Just trying to plan the day out
Old 08-24-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Scott every brisket is an adventure. Plan on 10-12 hours give or take. BBQ at 200-210*
Some are ready at 185* internally others 195 + Re-read sentence No. 1 and...

Have Fun & Enjoy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
I agree with Andy and UB. A basic rule of thumb is 1.5 hours per pound at 200 to 215, but the real test is the internal temp. For slicing, you want 180 to 190. For pulled, you want 200 to 205. Brisket can dry out, and a lot of people will foil it, but I prefer a mop with olive oil and vinegar (about a 50-50 mix in a spray bottle). Each and every brisket, as UB said, is an adventure, and it is a challenge. It’s actually one of the landmarks by which a “smoker” will judge himself. If you can do a good brisket then you’re good at what you do, and even more challenge is added when you do not foil.

Also, brisket can really absorb some smoke, so you may want to go a little lighter on the smoke than you would on a butt unless you want and like it a bit heavier. If you’re going for pulled/shredded brisket, then you will really want to mop the meat regularly, and you may even want to consider barding the meat half way though the cooking process.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

well its on its way. Woke up at 6 am this morning to apply the slather and rub. Now its low and slow for 9+ hours...I don't think i've ever been this excited about brisket before!
Old 08-25-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Good luck, take some pics if you can.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:01 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Good Job!!

Steady as she goes Scott!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
Head Chef

I just have to try one someday.....
Keep us posted!
Old 08-26-2007, 12:11 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

alright so i woke up at 6am to start the coals and get things going. I made a nice slather whcih mostly consisted of vinegar and dijon mustard, and then a typical rub (brown sugar, chili powder etc etc). I used some grape vines for the smoke and regular briquettes for the fuel (couldn't find chunk **** it!). The temperature fluctuated between 220 and 270 and I sprayed the covered brisket with mop every hour.

The problem I had was the brisket struggled to go over 170. Once it hit 180, it dropped right back down to 176. So I couldn't get it up to the 200 degree pulled brisket mark, however the meat was definately done. So instead of pulling it I chopped it up and served it with wheat rolls and homemade kansas city style bbq sauce.

I unfortunately don't have any pics but it had the perfect smoke ring around the outside. I took the advice of someone above and didn't smoke it as much as "normal" meat and it was a great recommendation. I did about half the amount of actual smoke and it tasted perfect. Next time I need to keep a closer eye on those temps and just take it off when its done the first time, instead of trying to get the temps back up and watch it fluctuate.