"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 11-13-2007, 06:51 PM   #51
Assistant Cook

yea we use the charcoal smoker.. use it mostly everytime for thanksgiving for turkey too.. its a famliy favorite always comes out nice and juice

Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #52
Senior Cook

Very informative thread. I'll comment about the actual topic.

Bought the ECB last year. My puppy recently chewed it's cord. My only complaint is that the brinkman didn't have temp control. I could not figure out how to keep temps below 300 on the brinkman on a typical sunny ga day of 85 degrees and a 230498540985% humidity, lol. This CB unit has two awesome feature that suits me, temp control and the cord is removable, puppy-proof!

One interesting note, the waterpan on the brinkman sits in the middle in the unit, on the CB, the waterpan sits almost directly on the heat coil. On the brinkman, adding wood chips or larger chunks, is simple to do; Due to the waterpan not sitting directly over the heating coil and has 3 pieces, top middle and bottom. You want access to the meat? Lift off the top. You want access to the chips? Lift off the middle. CB, you have only a small trap door, and the very limited volume due to the low mounting of the waterpan. You simply need to cut the pieces of wood if you chose large chunks.

In conclusion, I think the CB simply works better for me due to the temp control and it's nice that I don't have to worry about the cord every being chewed. If you want to get creative and somehow find a way to lower the current to the brinkman such as buying a three-prong lamp dimmer, the brinkman would be the better unit.

Now any competition BBQ will always frown on these "lazy-Q". The two main problems are the air flow/baffles and the super thin sheet metal.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #53
Assistant Cook

Interesting read

I see these messages were posted a long time ago. I have used a regular charcoal smoker for years. I have seen a lot about these electric smokers. It seems that a lot of restaurants use em.

I am very intrigued. I love my charcoal smoker, but when doing something that requires a lot of time, its quite the chore to babysit it. I found what looks like a decent on on Amazon.

Masterbuilt 30-Inch Electric Smokehouse Smoker with Window and RF Controller

Just as soon as I get the money for it, I think I am going to get it. I love the idea that I can set it and forget it.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

If that is the insulated one, I've heard good things about it. Not so much the other ones.
I believe one of our members used one before.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #55
Assistant Cook

It is. Has pretty good reviews on it.

When I get it, I think I will cook a brisket on each and find out for myself if there is a difference in taste.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Masterbuilt is very popular among the entry level Watt Burners......
A lot of 30" buyers later kick their pork butts for not buying the 40" model......
Check Sam's Clubs ...They (use to) sometimes offer a 2 or 3 year extended warranty for regular price..or for a very modest fee....HTH

Luck......

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #57
Assistant Cook

I will look into that 40". If you find one, can you give me a link?

No Sams Clubs up here in Idaho. We had 1 for a little while, but it went under. They just could not compete with Costco.

Turkey on the smoker is the best. I will never go back to oven cooked turkey.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #58
Certified Pretend Chef

I took a quick look at the link you gave and saw a comment that you have to cut rib racks in half so they'll fit.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Check Here Shop around for a better price.......

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sustenation View Post
I was at Lowe's and saw the Brinkmann Gourmet Electric Smoker Grill. I am intrigued by this. On some level, it seems like cheating, but it also seems a heck of a lot easier than monitoring charcoal heat all day long. Has anyone ever used one? What are the tradeoffs with using one of these instead of a charcoal smoker?
I was pretty satisfied with mine until recently when the electric element started to get weak and wouldn't hold temps over 200F. That's when I decided to convert it to a charcoal burning smoker and make some mods on the unit and I couldn't be happier.
With the proper mods there's very little monitoring with charcoal. With occasional vent control it'll hold 250F for close to 10 hours with just one chimney worth of charcoal. I'm very happy with the mods I've made on this unit.