"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 07-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Ever done a low country boil?

When we relocated from the Pacific Northwest to Georgia 25 years ago we took to this regional cuisine like iron filings to a magnet. At the top of the heap for mouth-watering flavor? A properly done low country boil.

It is not exactly barbecue or grilling but definitely an outdoor activity. My son does this best. His technique? Boiling time more than anything else but a great deal of patience helps. If you just dump ALL of the ingredients of onions, spicey sausage, corn-on-the cob, unpeeled shrimp, and new potatoes in all at once you get a mess.

We use Zatarain's shrimp and crab boil in packets for best results. The spice just does something special to the corn because it somehow absorbs all that flavor.

I suppose it can be made in a huge pot on the stove but it is a more fun and less messy experience outside with a gas-fired pot.

All you need to top it off is some ice cold beer. Folks, I cannot explain how these simple ingredients, properly cooked with the right amount of spice, can taste so good but they do.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lowcountryboil.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	21538  

Old 07-23-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
When we relocated from the Pacific Northwest to Georgia 25 years ago we took to this regional cuisine like iron filings to a magnet. At the top of the heap for mouth-watering flavor? A properly done low country boil.

It is not exactly barbecue or grilling but definitely an outdoor activity. My son does this best. His technique? Boiling time more than anything else but a great deal of patience helps. If you just dump ALL of the ingredients of onions, spicey sausage, corn-on-the cob, unpeeled shrimp, and new potatoes in all at once you get a mess.

We use Zatarain's shrimp and crab boil in packets for best results. The spice just does something special to the corn because it somehow absorbs all that flavor.

I suppose it can be made in a huge pot on the stove but it is a more fun and less messy experience outside with a gas-fired pot.

All you need to top it off is some ice cold beer. Folks, I cannot explain how these simple ingredients, properly cooked with the right amount of spice, can taste so good but they do.
Done many a crawfish boil. Basically the same, just with crawfish. Last time was Memorial Day time. Did 80#. I do ours a little spicier though.

Lots of a pinchin, a suckin and a pickin this weekend!

Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We generally do at least one of these every summer.
Mighty good in the shade of a big old magnolia tree.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Done many a crawfish boil. Basically the same, just with crawfish. Last time was Memorial Day time. Did 80#. I do ours a little spicier though.

Lots of a pinchin, a suckin and a pickin this weekend!
We've never done crawfish ourselves....too hard to find here. However we have been to a couple of crawfish boils....mighty good!

For me, if your nose doesn't run, your not sweating, and tears aren't pouring from your eyes, it ain't hot enough!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I have been to many lobster boils. And a few clambakes on the beach. Same concept, different location, different seafood.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Addie, we loved those New England boiled dinners and those Lobster and shrimp rolls. What a treat! We loved everything about New England and Nova Scotia except those 9 month winters.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Another thing I really love is steaming up a bunch of blue crab, Maryland style, and going to town. Nothing like picking crab to develop a huge thirst! Gotta have that beer icy cold!
Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
When we relocated from the Pacific Northwest to Georgia 25 years ago
Forced relocation I hope? Job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Another thing I really love is steaming up a bunch of blue crab, Maryland style, and going to town. Nothing like picking crab to develop a huge thirst! Gotta have that beer icy cold!
Back home in South FL and in Key West, we had crab boils all the time.
We crabed all night long, slept most of the day then my grandmother would dump piles of boiled seasoned crabs onto newspaper spread out on the long folding table under the canopy outside.
Lots of work (picking through crabs) to get full, but more time to drink beer.
Some of my fondest memories.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Forced relocation I hope? Job?

Back home in South FL and in Key West, we had crab boils all the time.
We crabed all night long, slept most of the day then my grandmother would dump piles of boiled seasoned crabs onto newspaper spread out on the long folding table under the canopy outside.
Lots of work (picking through crabs) to get full, but more time to drink beer.
Some of my fondest memories.
I like Abita Amber with the crawfish and Cave Creek Chili Beer with the crabs.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Addie, we loved those New England boiled dinners and those Lobster and shrimp rolls. What a treat! We loved everything about New England and Nova Scotia except those 9 month winters.
Maine lobster boats have a new income. An airlines now flies nonstop from Beijing to Boston for 15 hours. It is just an hours ride up the coast to Maine. So the people from China take a tour bus up there and go out on a lobster boat to see how lobsters are caught. When they come ashore, they have a lobster feast waiting for them with the fixings. Then back to Boston. I wonder if they will continue this practice during the winter months. There are some hearty men that are out there in all kinds of weather except a Nor'easter.

Tags
oil