Fat Cap Up or Fat Cap Down.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do mine fat side down in the Kamado and up in the offsets. I never foil Boston Butts. I don't mop/baste but I do spray with 4 to 1 mix of apple juice and cider vinegar.

I found, by accident, that wrapping a butt after it comes off can keep it hot for hours. I took one to my brothers once, 2-1/2 hours away, close to 4 hours before I went to pull it. Figured by that time it could be handled with out gloves. Big mistake! it was still scorching hot!:ohmy: It was wrapped in one layer of HD foil and a kitchen towel, no cooler.

I found, by accident, that wrapping a butt after it comes off can keep it hot for hours. I took one to my brothers once, 2-1/2 hours away, close to 4 hours before I went to pull it. Figured by that time it could be handled with out gloves. Big mistake! it was still scorching hot!:ohmy: It was wrapped in one layer of HD foil and a kitchen towel, no cooler.

Oh yes. I do that too. I was referring to wrapping during the cook. I wrap ribs after two or three hours in smoke and then unwrap for half hour or so at the end. But ribs are the only meat I wrap during a cook.
Save

There are plusses on both sides of this discussion, but I always cook fat-cap down so as not to wash away the rubs that I use. If the meat appears too dry, I mist but typically I just let the cooker cook and monitor IT temp. I love the bark, and too much moisture destroys that.

Resurrected old thread. I'm still awake, so why not comment.

I cut most of the fat cap off of a pork butt. I leave just a thin layer. Too much fat just keeps rub and smoke from penetrating the meat, and smoke has a hard time getting deep into a butt even with a 12-hour cook.

I go fat cap up, for some "self-basting," but honestly can't say with certainty that it matters. It is just how I do it.

I never foil a pork butt during cooking. IMO, pork butt is the easiest, most forgiving chunk of meat to BBQ. Why make it harder than it needs to be?

Pork butt is also a great item to pre-cook for a party across town. I wrap the finished butt in foil and a towel, and stuff it in a cheap cooler, and like Craig said, it is still too hot to handle after a few hours.

CD

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom