Fat Cap Up or Fat Cap Down.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Savannahsmoker

Senior Cook
As most everyone knows every cooker is different so a little comparison between Boston Butts fat cap up or fat cap down on the Blaz'n Grid Iron.

At the 12 hour mark sitting at 160 internal degrees.
[URL=http://s547.photobucket.com/user/Savannahsmoker/media/Smoking%20BBQ/Butts/20160409_120954_zpspaidaotp.jpg.html]

My personal preference has been Fat Cap down because it seems easier to me to pull the pork off and leave the fat in the foil.
When I do fat cap up I make Cracklings off the remainder of the cap in the grill at 500 degrees.

Last edited:
Personal preference for me would be cap up.
It just seems having the fat side up would help to keep the roast nice a juicy?

It might help keep the surface from drying out, but it won't affect the inside of the roast. Fat doesn't move from the surface through the meat; it just rolls down the side.

It might help keep the surface from drying out, but it won't affect the inside of the roast. Fat doesn't move from the surface through the meat; it just rolls down the side.

Seems very similar to basting.
And how did I know you would correct me on this? ;)

Although I go cap up, it probably doesn't matter as I "mop" during the cook. Takes a little longer, but I like the results. I try to time the mopping to coincide with putting a fresh split in the fire box.

Seems very similar to basting.
And how did I know you would correct me on this? ;)

I've stopped basting. I find that continually wetting the surface prevents it from drying out sufficiently to get crusty.

Correct you? You asked a question. I assumed you wanted an answer :rolleyes:

I've stopped basting. I find that continually wetting the surface prevents it from drying out sufficiently to get crusty.

Correct you? You asked a question. I assumed you wanted an answer :rolleyes:

;) You know that was a wink right? I quit basting too. However, for whatever reason, I always roast skin/fat side up.

I mop/baste to keep the dry rub from turning too dark. It is plenty crusty when I pull off to rest. Brisket is a different matter, no mopping.

Just like the old wine commercials for Paul Masson by Orson Welles, "We will pull no swine before its time.":angel:

Fat Cap up. I make a diamond cut on it and put very thin slices on garlic in the slits. A foil tent over it until the last twenty minutes or so. Most of the fat does melt off and will be drained off and some of it will go towards the gravy along with other juices in the bottom along with the flavor of the garlic.

I too hate to baste constantly. I take the lazy way any time I can. :angel:

Last edited:
Fat Cap up. I make a diamond cut on it and put very thin slices on garlic in the slits. A foil tent over it until the last twenty minutes or so. Most of the fat does melt off and will be drained off and some of it will go towards the gravy along with other juices in the bottom along with the flavor of the garlic.

I too hate to baste constantly. I take the lazy way any time I can. :angel:

That sounds good.

Good grief: True enough that the fat running down the sides doesn't penetrate the meat, but it it's a lump of meaty fat auto-basting the sides, just the thing for the crust you want.

I've read a bunch of these, and don't understand the other side, but that's why I'm here, so please explain.

And, five minutes after I ask, I suspect the reason: you want maximum exposed crusty-bronze meat? So do I! Duh...

Has anybody tried doing it fat-cap up and suspended in a V-shaped roasting cage? So you get a free baste on three sides? That, and a six-pack, sounds like my next free afternoon. I'll report back.

And, five minutes after I ask, I suspect the reason: you want maximum exposed crusty-bronze meat? So do I! Duh...

Has anybody tried doing it fat-cap up and suspended in a V-shaped roasting cage? So you get a free baste on three sides? That, and a six-pack, sounds like my next free afternoon. I'll report back.

Take it easy Rage. I'm with you 100%! ;)

I do mine fat side down in the Kamado and up in the offsets. I never foil Boston Butts. I don't mop/baste but I do spray with 4 to 1 mix of apple juice and cider vinegar.

I do mine fat side down in the Kamado and up in the offsets. I never foil Boston Butts. I don't mop/baste but I do spray with 4 to 1 mix of apple juice and cider vinegar.

That apple juice/cider vinegar sounds interesting. By scoring the fat, the spray can get down to the meat. I wonder what other combinations can be used. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom