"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 10-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #11
Head Chef

looks good .. great pics ..

Old 10-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

i really found it all very interesting. big job, but looks and sounds like you have it under control.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #13
Master Chef

Very interesting stuff, but like Pacanis I am just too far away to 'test' that security ya'll got there, LOL.
Great job!
Old 10-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #14
Cook

Town of Erie, Colorado... the Conclusion

Left off yesterday with the building of the fruit salads. I also had to put slaw out for 1600 people. Since no ready made product exists that can take the place of hand made slaw... it is on me to make it up.

While I am prepping the salads and Zane is working on the final touches of all the Q.... the service crew arrives... it will be led by CSU Senior Jessica Peel and her fellow CSU band members. Jessica has worked for me since she was in High School.... it is so nice to come 300 miles from home and have someone that has worked for me within 25 miles to put together the service crew. Plus all those years she has learned to decorate and set linens.

Don and Zane get in a little seat time while the crew finishes the set.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #15
Cook

This is our Sunday bar... the CSU band set up and served over 80 gallons of hand dipped ice cream to all the attendees! That is serious ice cream consumed.

While that is going on I need to run the smoked sausage out of the cooker and across the grill, then slice it up for service! I leave it in foil pans and take it out a few at a time and grill mark it, then cambro the stuff to keep it piping hot!

Finally we come to service time... 11 AM the gates opened and all were welcome for free! What a party.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #16
Cook

Now the brisket, pulled pork and sausage was consumed hot and heavy for 5 hours straight out... not one break! It was great but what we were able to do at the end of the day was much much more rewarding. We came armed for bear since the whole town was invited... so we could have fed 2200 without much trouble, what to do with the left overs? First we stuffed the college students cars with all they felt they could use at the campus. But I still have about 200 pounds of food left..... so I call my daughter at Fort Lewis College in Durango Colorado and ask her to find me a homeless shelter to donate the rest of this to, we routinely donate to our local soup kitchen.... but I am not carrying cooked food 300 miles.. to many temperature problems. So my daughter calls back and say she found a place!
This is the OUR facility in Longmont Colorado a truly worthy cause and definitely people whom welcomed the 200 pounds of barbeque and assorted sides.

And the center director called the executive chef to explain the donation.... that news brought Chef Debbie down to the kitchen to help break it down and get it stored for use!

And that my friends is how I never have leftovers.... and all our food goes to good use either paid for or to help those whom need a little extra help to stay alive!
I hope you have enjoyed our two days in Erie Colorado... we did! And I hope each of you will commit to helping a soup kitchen... many remember them at the holidays, but the destitute an down on their luck need to eat all year, not just at Thanksgiving and Christmas!

'til we speak again.... chose to make a difference locally, no matter what locale you find yourself in!

Chef Bob Ballantyne
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
Old 10-21-2008, 09:33 PM   #17
Cook

The conclusion has been posted.

Here on this thread
Old 10-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #18
Executive Chef

You and your crew put on quite an event. Great job.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Ho Bob - I am in awe. What a great event you and your crew put on. Especially your leftover plans.

Unless I am mistaken (which often happens) neither you nor your company are responsible for disposition of leftovers. That makes your going the extra mile even nicer. College kids and a homeless shelter. It dosen't get any better than that.

Kudos - AC
Old 10-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Unless I am mistaken (which often happens) neither you nor your company are responsible for disposition of leftovers. That makes your going the extra mile even nicer. College kids and a homeless shelter. It dosen't get any better than that.

Kudos - AC
You are correct, but since we instituted the Soup Kitchen Support plan... it has only helped us. I have found that going the extra mile always comes back around to help you.