"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 05-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #1
Executive Chef

First big "Q" Weekend of the Year

Anything special hitting the grill or smoker? I haven't decided, but will probably hit Restaurant Depot for some meat!

Old 05-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Time to dust off the Weber kettle and get smoking. I have a butt in the freezer, thinking about getting some ribs and jalapeños.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
Head Chef

I have a butt in the freezer too, but I'm thinking about spatchcocking, marinating and grilling a chicken on Sunday. Monday is going to be a golf day, so...
Old 05-18-2015, 09:10 PM   #4
Head Chef

Does anyone know if one of the cooking channels ( or ESPN) or anyone televises the Annual World Championship Memphis BBQ Competition they held this past weekend ?

I know someone who was in it, and I'd be curious to watch it.

I know Al Roker has covered it in the past.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:27 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Ok, I have an 8# butt on the smoker, along with a 14# packer brisket. Prepped the andouille yesterday (10#), I will grind, stuff and smoke later. I will also make some fresh garlic and breakfast sausage, which doesn't get smoked.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Craig, how long does it take to smoke a butt that size?
Old 05-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Ok, I have an 8# butt on the smoker, along with a 14# packer brisket. Prepped the andouille yesterday (10#), I will grind, stuff and smoke later. I will also make some fresh garlic and breakfast sausage, which doesn't get smoked.
Plus we picked up a 25# box of plum tomatoes yesterday at Restaurant Depot for just under $16. We have four 9-ounce bags of oven dried tomatoes, 10 or more 3-1/2 to 4-cup bags of Jeff Smith's (The Frugal Gourmet) Fresh Sicilian sauce (despite the title it uses canned and fresh tomatoes, makes a good starter base to build on) and about 3-4 pounds left of plums. Not sure what we are going to do with them yet, maybe tomato jam or maybe just tomato puree or maybe something else.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Craig, how long does it take to smoke a butt that size?
Around 9-10 hrs @ 225F, but I go by internal temp. Sometimes there is a "stall" around 160F which may take an hour + to over come. I shoot for an internal of 198F to reach the pulling stage. The brisket may take 12 + hours to be done.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:59 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I just finished turning a 5 lb. Boston Butt into 5 pounds of shredded BBQ pork, and I can't stop from going back for more "Taste Tests!"
And I only had to use one fork to shred it.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Prepping a half dozen jalapeños for ABTs. I followed pacanis' tutorial. I used Boursin cheese in place of plain cream cheese. I hope it isn't too soft. Didn't get Lil Smokies but had a leftover cooked brat so I cut that into lil smokie size and stuffed the peppers. Gotta wrap them in bacon and go fire up the Weber.

Yesterday I rubbed a rack of baby backs, wrapped them up and they're waiting in the fridge. I'll make some cole slaw to go along side the rest of the Ranch Potato Salad© to complete the meal.

The Red Sox game is about to start and the weather is perfect. So I'll be on the deck drinking beer, listening to the game and tending the smoke.

Enjoy your holiday.