He's playing with his smoker again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JillyBean

Cook
DH is spending a lovely Sunday playing with his smoker. This weekend, the second in a row, he's smoking ABTs (Atomic Buffalo Turds) which are jalapenos stuffed with cream and cheddar cheese and wrapped in bacon, and "Fatties", ground meat rolled around various fillings like a jelly roll. He's making two because we always share with the neighbours - one is stuffed with pizza sauce, pepperoni and mozza cheese and the other is stuffed with pepper jack cheese, mushrooms and onions. And finally, because I whined, he's smoking a fillet of salmon for me to have on bagels. Mmmmmm! I LOVE Sundays!

I'd post pics but apparently I haven't been a member long enough or haven't posted enough...can't remember the specifics of the error message I received.

I'm with David. I love seeing food. Or is that I love sea food... any food I see? :LOL:
The jalapenos sound great. I haven't wrapped them with bacon (I like them grilled with cream cheese and a shrimp stuffing). Bacon.... that sounds downright decadent ;)

Er...I'm at 12, this makes 13...sheesh, how do you type with your mouth full?

The bacon is decadent, I keep telling myself that all the bad stuff ends up in the drip tray...yeah, that's it, it all drips out and becomes healthy for me, like broccoli!

make the rest of the posts here to get them out of the way. Just say hello everyone or something each post. lol

I'm with David. I love seeing food. Or is that I love sea food... any food I see? :LOL:
The jalapenos sound great. I haven't wrapped them with bacon (I like them grilled with cream cheese and a shrimp stuffing). Bacon.... that sounds downright decadent ;)

I sea food, I eat it! :LOL: ABT... that is a new one on me (the name, not the ingredients), quite humorus!!! :ROFLMAO: I agree, we need to see pics of this wonderful stuff!

Here's a photo of ABT's, just off the smoker.

sjune2007im1.jpg

By qsis, shot with Canon PowerShot S230 at 2007-08-24

Jillybean, it's up to you to post the photos of fatties - I haven't tried them yet!

Lee

Now that's a LOT of abts! He tried the boats the first time, this time he left the stems on and stuffed them whole. Aesthetically the whole ones look better, but for well distributed flavour I liked the boats best.

The fatties, prep:
img_632482_0_5d626ef3e8ae722bcd81b33e865c3248.jpg

img_632482_1_e9d3bc80a660591dcd15ee22a406732c.jpg

And getting ready to slice:

img_632482_2_36e0857a76f42c4a389835bbc00756d2.jpg

Wow, Jilly, both of those fatties sound and look fantastic! Did you like them at all, or did you just stick with your salmon?

Lee

Lee, Jilly.... great pics.
Those look absolutely fantastic. Great color on those appetisers/meals.

Even on the gas grill it's easy...just requires some attention, not really that easy for me :LOL:.

The fatties were really good, although after testing the ABTs all day, we weren't all that hungry by the time it was all done. I'd made potato salad (Texas style, mostly mustard) and I think we'll have leftovers for a while.

Sliced up the mushroom/onion roll and had it on a piece of crusty bread with mustard for lunch and it was really good, I'm thinking those are good things to make for family picnics or outdoor events. They're easy to transport, easy to re-heat, and taste great...like a big smoked sausage with stuffing.

The salmon was a really cheap cut because I wanted to try it and DH wasn't sure about it, so after we picked at it and tested it several times I flaked it and saved it for breakfast with capers, cream cheese, and bagels.

QSis and Jilly- good stuff! Mind posting recipes with technique tips? (As ingredients are somewhat obvious!)

Jill, here's a copy of my PM to kitchenelf.

She has a smoker, but you can do this on a gas grill or in the oven (they just won't taste as smokey). All you have to do is cook them till the bacon is cooked.

Lee

I don't know if I've ever posted the recipe, K.E., but variations of it are all over BBQ forums.

Here's my way:

Split jalapenos in half, lengthwise, and scrape out seeds.

Fill the halves with cream cheese, then top with halves of Lil' Smokey weiners.

Wrap each filled and topped jalapeno half with a half slice of bacon.

Smoke open-side up until bacon is crisp, or at least, DONE.

I like cherry wood for these.

Enjoy!

Lee

Thanks for the "fatties" Jilly! My DIL used to make something less exotic - just a hot-dog wiener size/shaped piece of ground beef wrapped in a single slice of bacon and rolled in a ton of cracked black pepper.

But, these fatties have sparked my "things to try" imagination:

Ground BEEF:

Cheeseball Fatty: carmalized onions and sliced/grated smoked or red-wine cheddar cheeseballs. Adding some sauteed mushrooms would be an option.

Ground CHICKEN/TURKEY:

Southern Fatty: cornbread dressing - with or without oysters.

Cajun Fatty: cajun rice with shrimp or crawfish.

Ground LAMB:

Lebanese Fatty: saffron rice pilaf with onion and garlic.

Greek Fatty I: feta cheese and chopped spinach - a little oregano, maybe a pinch of allspice, nutmeg and/or cinnamon?

Greek Fatty II: Greek tomato sauce with a little oregano, a pinch of allspice, nutmeg and/or cinnamon; roasted eggplant, and feta cheese.

Ground PORK:

German Fatty: chopped cabbage, or sauerkraut, with apples and cardamom.

Hawaiian Fatty: something using pineapple ....

Cuban Fatty: something with black beans, rice, and coconut milk ....

And I've just gotten started! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom